Director, Deputy Head of Regional Financial Crime Unit (APAC)
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Societe Generale
- 26 Apr 17
Director, Deputy Head of Regional Financial Crime Unit (APAC)
SG CIB is the Corporate and Investment Banking arm of the Société Générale Group. Present in over 50 countries across Europe, the Americas and Asia.SG CIB provides corporate, financial institutions, investors and public sector clients with value-added integrated financial solutions.
The Deputy Head of Regional Financial Crime Unit (APAC) has responsibility for the region in assisting the Regional Head of Financial Crime Unit (FCU) in maintaining Societe Generale (SG)'s Group FCU
Policy standards (i.e. AML, KYC, Sanctions, Anti-Bribery Act, etc); ensuring SG Group remains regulatory compliant in all FCU related matters.
The successful candidate is expected to help implement FCU policies and procedures, keep senior management informed of financial crime related matters and risks, provide expert advice and propose solutions to Business Lines, their respective compliance teams, and support functions on a day-to-day basis, provide training to relevant internal employees where necessary, be proactive in managing change on internal processes and procedures, and participate and provide feedback in industry wide reviews driven by regulators or the various industry groups in order to enhance the overall financial crime risk management framework of SG Hong Kong.
- Report to and work with Regional Head of FCU to support senior management (including both local and Group level) in discharging their AML obligations, including but not limited to
- Timely escalation of risks associated with financial crime / reputational matters, and
- On-going review of the adequacy and effectiveness of the firm's financial crime control framework.
- Active engagement with Group Compliance on policy development and implementation to ensure SGHK is compliant with both French and Hong Kong regulatory requirements while taking various business and operations needs into consideration. Proactively address and oversee closure of any policy and implementation gaps.
- Active liaison with KYC Team, Business Lines, Credit/Risk and other relevant departments on the KYC process, i.e. ensure relevant policies and procedures are adhered to, required approval(s) are obtained, risks identified are mitigated and/or escalated and resolved in a timely manner, and provide Compliance sign-off where required.
- Provide temporary waiver / exceptions on matters related to KYC documentation of new and existing clients. Ensure tracking of such waiver / exceptions to ensure matter is closed within the timeframe granted.
- Work with Regional Head of FCU to ensure regular KYC reviews are completed in accordance to the schedule; escalate overdue to senior management in a timely manner.
- Advise and alert business heads / COOs on key compliance and regulatory risks affecting their business areas; offer practical and timely solutions adapted to the business needs and to mitigate financial crime risks; assist business lines in the implementation of appropriate risk management solutions.
- Work closely with the FCU team members in ensuring PS Controls are completed on time; perform PS Controls as and when required; conduct periodic review of the PS Controls to ensure they are up-to-date with the latest policies and procedures; maintain the FCU Compliance PS Manual to ensure information reflects the latest PS Controls with sufficient level of guidance and details.
- Work with the Regional Head of FCU in handling financial crime related matters within the region, including but not limited to
- Acting as a bridge between Group Compliance and Regional Compliance teams to ensure regional offices are made aware of developments and changes at the Group level, as well as timely implementation of Group policies and resolution of gaps,
- Assisting regional Compliance teams in regional project implementation
- Ensuring local policies, controls and procedures are aligned with Global requirements.
- Play an active role in supporting / leading various local, regional or global projects / initiatives for both Hong Kong and regional offices, e.g. AML/KYC transformation programs, design and implementation of new transaction monitoring tools.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of financial crime related rules and regulations; ensure up-to-date knowledge on regulatory trends, market practices and standards.
- Work closely with Financial Crime officers in other offices (US, Europe/Middle East) in various global projects and initiatives and take the role of representing the APAC region as and when needed.
- Work with Regional Head of FCU to proactively position SGHK for Financial Crime regulatory changes and new developments, e.g. participate in industry forums / surveys.
- New product/business reviews as and when required.
- Provide training for employees within the region as and when required.
- Manage hierarchical responsibilities for FCU team members based in Hong Kong.
- The incumbent has significant day-to-day autonomy to determine how best to deliver the responsibilities set out above, within a global compliance advisory framework determined by the Global Head of Financial Crime Department and applied consistently around the world and across all areas of FCU Compliance.
- By taking into consideration the risk appetite of SG, be accountable for the quality, appropriateness and timeliness of compliance advice given to the Business Lines, KYC team and other internal teams, and the outcome that arise as a result
- Internal and External Contacts (as necessary):
- External: Regulatory and Exchange authorities as required, relevant external advisors (audit, consulting and legal firms), as well as trade associations and industry bodies.
- Willingness and ability to consistently encourage and facilitate strong team spirit, with frequent interaction and timely communication across all areas of the Compliance department.
- Tertiary education in finance, legal or related disciplines.
- At least 8 years of directly relevant regional Compliance / AML experience within Financial Institutions, Banking or Securities industry.
- Solid team management experience.
- Fluency in English and Cantonese, fluency in Mandarin is advantageous.
- Strong working knowledge of global regulatory and financial services legislations as pertains to AML, KYC, Sanctions, ABC rules relevant to SG's business activities
- Good understanding of relevant business activities of SG