Senior Manager, Balance Sheet Analytics
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 21 Apr 17
Please view Job Description for details.
Department: Capital & Liquidity Management
Grade: Grade 5 / M22
Reports To: Senior Manager - Capital Analytics
We a highly reputable top tier commercial and investment bank enjoying continued growth in Asia, the Middle East and Africa. The bank is seeking a person with 8-12 years working experience to join their Capital and Liquidity Management team (CLM) within the Finance division. CLM is a dynamic and high-profile team within Finance. The team was created seven years ago and reports into the CFO of Corporate & Institutional (C&I) Clients and Products. Given the One Bank initiative, the mandate of the team extends to Retail Bank (RB) and Commercial & Private Bank (C&PB) as well.
The mission of CLM is to implement the strategic agenda decided by the CEO and Group Asset & Liability Committee (GALCO)'s on balance sheet management. This mission has taken acute importance in the post-crisis era, as new Basel rules and higher cost of balance sheet resources have re-prioritised balance sheet management capabilities into a key competitive advantage. As such, the team is contributing to a number of senior forums such as the Business Balance Sheet Committee (BBSC), the Liquidity Management Committee (LMC), the Capital Management Committee (CMC) and a number of related groups and forums in partnership with the Treasurers, CFOs, CROs and global business heads.
CLM is responsible for planning and driving sustainable usage and optimal allocation of capital and liquidity through the year and over our strategic planning period. The team has developed robust reporting & controlling tools for business to maintain balance sheet discipline. CLM also provides advisory and analytical solutions to drive return performance at geography-, product- and client-level. On a ad hoc basis, the team has responsibility to lead a number of longer-term strategic balance sheet initiatives and MIS enhancement projects. Finally, CLM supports Group and Risk on Business-specific inputs over regulatory reporting, stress testing exercises and other related workstreams.
The current job opening is a Senior Manager responsible for all Capital Advisory and Analytics activity. The role covers alignment of results through building and communicating analytical insights on capital performance directly to business management and their respective finance partners. This is therefore a senior specialist role with interface to key stakeholders in the Bank.
The Senior Manager also works in close partnership with the CLM Heads in charge of C&I and RB-C&PB. Expectations on the job are set high. Growth opportunities are attractive, as the job offers a platform towards more senior roles in business and key strategic functions like Group Treasury, Risk, Business, Finance and Strategy within [2-3 years] of tenure.
Communication and credibility are central to this job. The main deliverables are power point presentations, summarising information and ideas and delivering clear messages. The role job implies a steep learning curve, linking back complex information on capital with our long-term business strategy and immediate challenges. Finally, the role is about change management, which requires live interaction with partners in business, finance and risk and build-up of long-term rapports with key stakeholders.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Attend in-house training and on-the-job learning to get rapidly to speed with objectives, process and priorities for capital and liquidity management
* Design and provide regular and ad hoc update on balance sheet and capital performance and optimisation plans to forums. This includes:
o Monitoring Group, Business and Country KPIs against targets
o Tracking Assets and Liabilities against business and country forecasts
o Raising early alert on RWA capacity constraints in geographies
o Running analytics on the sustainability of our capital performance, linking it to Group / Solo capital ratios as well as local targets, returns and JAWS, P&L, risk appetite and liquidity constraints
* Own and drive improvements in the Capital operating model, ensuring it is responsive to changes in internal and regulatory environment
* Prepare powerful analysis and action plans around capital planning and return solutions to steer business and country decisions at right forums
* Work closely with Group Finance, Treasury and Business teams on RWA forecasts, budget and plans providing leadership for all processes:
o Drive standardised process for Group / Country / Product and Segment views
o Align central business forecasts/budget/five-year plans with regional/ country teams to eliminate gaps
* Support various capital forums and steering groups in delivery of their objectives via development and tracking of project milestones resulting from deep dive initiatives
* Actively engage with business finance, country finance and performance management counterparties, understanding their business priorities and establish credibility / build rapport
* Provide business-specific expertise and inputs on regulatory reporting, stress testing and liquidity exercises conducted with Group Treasury and Risk:
o RWA projections for Strategy Board paper
o Internal Capital Assessment Adequacy Process (ICAAP) review and other capital stress test
o Regional Treasury queries
* Support Finance for periodic analytics on Investors' Relationships, Competitive Benchmarking and Ad Hoc strategic reviews on countries
Educational Background / Qualifications & Skills:
* Strong academic record at bachelor or master degree level in business, economics, finance, financial engineering or related field from a well-recognized institution
* Keen learner profile with an interest in the commercial banking or global market business
* Excellent communication, power point and excel skills, supported by a good eye for details, basic common sense and a zest of creativity
* Proven strategic and analytical skills with a strong appetite for finding facts and offering solutions
* Good interpersonal skills and strong cross-cultural awareness
* Qualification towards CFA or FRM will be considered positively
Qualifications and Skills
* At least 8-12 years in the banking or financial services industry
* Robust experience of capital management in Finance, business, treasury, reg reporting, or risk
* Good grasp of Basel 2 and 3 RWA, portfolio allocation and distribution, volatility management, economic capital, stress testing
* Track-record of gathering complex information, making sense of it and delivering clear, high-impact messages for decision
* Proven ability to interact with multiple functions / levels and to coordinate deliverables from various inputs under tight deadlines
As part of our commitment to career development, you can search and view opportunities across the organisation and apply immediately for suitable opportunities. When applying, please note the following:
The closing date for applications is 31/03/2017. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.