Release Train Engineer
Salary: Base + Bonus + Benefits
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Job Type: Full time
Release Train Engineer required to facilitate agile release trains process and execution. You will have strong knowledge around leading Agile teams (preferably SAFe) and will assist with PI planning, ART synchronisation and able to work with other stakeholders to ensure strategy and execution alignment.
Schroders Global Technology (GT) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders global offices, with technology hubs in London, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software engineering and technology change function is split between 4 domains: Investment, Portfolio Operations and Data; Distribution and Product; Corporate and; Digital. In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to provide Technology Infrastructure, Production Services (production support, release and access control), Quality Assurance, Information Security and Business Management (change management, assurance and reporting).
Our application estate is comprised mainly of commercially available off the shelf software packages best suited to Schroders operational needs, complimented by a number of internally developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds, that focuses on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology will enable Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders is undertaking the Leading Enterprise Agile Programme (LEAP) within Global Technology. In order to ensure this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place.
Overview of role
Following Schroders transition to SAFe many agile teams have been organised into agile release trains (ARTs) in order to enable scalable governance and dependency management. The Release Train Engineer facilitates Agile Release Trains process and execution. They escalate impediments, manage risk, help assure value delivery and help drive continuous improvement. They are a servant leader at the programme level and encourage collaboration between Agile teams and other groups such as Release Management and Shared Services. The Release Train Engineer assists with PI Planning, ART synchronisation and is able to work with other stakeholders to ensure strategy and execution alignment. An Release Train Engineer is able to align SAFe to fit the organisation as well as to coach Lean-Agile practices as required.
• Assists execution and tracking of delivery within the ART using agile tools such as the ART Kanban
• Facilitates ART level ceremonies such as PI Planning, Scrum of Scrums, Sprint Demos, Inspect and Adapt etc.
• Ensures Capability [Product] Managers and Owners are effectively communicating their vision and requirements
• Facilitates release planning readiness and the Release Planning Meeting
• Co-ordinates and facilitates interactions with all shared services teams, including Release Management
• Ensures collaboration and dependency management within and between ARTs
• Monitors, manages and escalates impediments and risks across the ART
• Helps drive ART level continuous improvement by identifying issues or opportunities and coaching agile teams
General and Technical skills
• Knowledge and experience of leading using Agile teams, preferably SAFe
• Strong communication skills, experience managing relationships with board level stakeholders
• Experience of working in a global team and with global stakeholders
• Experience of facilitating workshops and large meetings
• Experience of managing dependencies and resolving disagreements in a constructive manner
• Experience of monitoring and managing risks
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
• Certified Safe Agilist (SA)
• Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
• Inspiring and collaborative leader, model of agile leadership approach
• Comfortable with ambiguity and change
• Receptive to others' ideas and responds constructively to challenge
• Friendly, approachable, enjoys working with people from a variety of backgrounds
• Continuous improvement mind-set, challenges the status quo and seeks self improvement
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications regardless of sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note to Agencies:
Schroders does not accept speculative CV's from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CV's and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CV's ent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CV's directly.