Design Manager, Jira Platform
Atlassian is one of the fastest growing software companies in the world, with millions of customers across our products (Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Confluence, Bitbucket, and now Trello, to name a few.). We're continuing to invest heavily, in a bid to bring out the best in every team. We're growing our design team globally and searching for hardworking, designers and design managers.
About the role
We have an opportunity for a Design Manager to join the Jira Platform team in Sydney. This team focuses on building cross-product, cross-platform collaboration tools and features. These in turn, help our customers get their work done and stay on top of it in a collaborative, expressive and familiar way.
In this role you'll:
- Lead a team of designers, helping them develop their craft in all areas including Systems, Visual, Interaction and UX Design.
- Work closely with product managers, engineering and other stakeholders to define product strategy and champion the user experience in our products.
- Grow and nurture budding design careers to help serve both Atlassian and it's platform as a whole.
- Steer the strategic design direction and help folks break it down into deliverable pieces.
- Improve design at Atlassian at an organisational level.
You'll also have the opportunity to:
- Facilitate workshops with engineers and product managers to establish project scope and potential solutions to the identified problems in the most effective way.
- Inspire designers, raise the bar and set new standards
- Help your team plan and conduct exploratory user research and effective usability tests.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve the current user experience for existing tools/features.
- Improve design thinking of the whole product team by including other team members in the various design related activities.
- Provide input to and drive the product roadmap
To be successful, we expect you to:
More about the team
- Bring previous experience of having managed a design team (min 2 years experience in a management role)
- Have a strong passion for making people better. You'll support and guide to your team in constructive ways that encourage, energise, and increase their quality of work.
- Be hungry to learn and evolve in all aspects of design, product and leadership.
- Be naturally curious with a firm focus on the why.
- Have a passion for building collaboration experiences which scale our customers of tomorrow.
- Provide teams with mentorship, direction, leadership, and support necessary to ensure that they're able to accomplish their goals.
- Have hands-on professional experience as a product designer - you've been there, you've shipped it!
- Communicate clearly and have a high degree of influence with all kinds of internal partners including senior leadership.
- Track record of collaborating with other functions, including engineering and product.
- Be a self-starter with an eye for detail and the ability to get to the root of the problem with a laser focus on the customer.
First and foremost, Design managers at Atlassian are responsible for fostering and growing design talent. They're in it for the people and get their kicks from leading others to succeed. At Atlassian, Design managers are comfortable wearing many different hats - they're a coach, a mentor, a partner to spar work with as well as a sounding board when things get tough. They also work with product and engineering to create and define product strategy. Design managers are also directly accountable for the user experience and are the leading voice of the customer. More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more. More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team . Additional Information
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.