Network Development Engineer, Data Center, Amazon Web Services - Sydney, Australia
The Data Centre Network Engineering team at AWS work to ensure our customers can access a highly redundant, low latency and high bandwidth network where and when they need it. We do this by inventing and redefining the way networking is done. Engineers define and build platforms, topologies, routing architectures, and develop the software that runs and interacts with the network. Our Engineers drive the strategic decisions on how the network evolves for our customer's benefit.
We are inventing the network of the future. Our Engineers, in addition to fundamental Networking skills are experienced in network automation and Linux. SDN is a reality at Amazon and our networks are designed to be fully managed and operated via software systems. Some proficiency in Python, Perl, C, or Shell Scripting is preferred. To operate systems and tooling that build, scale, and operate the network, no 'conf t' here. Other NDEs are prior software engineers with a good understanding of Networking who wish to get deeper into this space, the NDE is a multi-faceted role.
Why Australia? Our Sydney offices are growing rapidly and you could be part of that! With Engineers based in Sydney, Dublin and Seattle this is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon and build something great. You would be joining a world class technical team, working with some of the biggest and brightest engineers in the industry. Not only would you be working with the best, you would be developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the fastest- growing, most innovative and progressive technology companies in the world.
Network Operations Engineering:
The Network Operations Engineering teams are responsible for operating and maintaining the health of Amazon's Retail and Web Services network. This team not only operates one of the largest networks on earth by leveraging the latest in high scale networking hardware, multi-tier topology and advanced tooling but also solves complex technical problems for our customers. This team is pivotal in driving technology changes that ensure a safe and reliable network; validate our systems, designs and architectures, manage operational changes, determine root cause of complex issues, develop automated tooling and implement design optimizations that drive reliability. As a Network Development Engineer in this team you'll be working with internal customers and teams to predict and prevent problems before they occur, building new features and services and be responsible for the health and availability of the AWS Network.
Network Scaling and Deployment Engineering:
The Network Scaling and Deployment Engineering teams build and grow the Amazon network worldwide. We constantly build new and exciting technologies at a scale that is challenging, ground breaking and innovative at the same time! We expect our Engineers to be passionate about cutting-edge technologies, be curious with an innate need to learn continuously, drive new and effective ways to build and scale networks while maintaining a vigilance on network availability and operational excellence. Our Engineers are expected to self-manage several projects at a time, provide regular status updates, identify and push through obstacles. For the ideal candidate, it's important to be cross-disciplinary and accustomed to "reaching across the aisle\ Basic Qualifications
A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years experience in a similar large scale environment
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major Internet routing protocols, specially BGP and OSPF.
• Solid network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills; specifically network performance analysis.
• Highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers is required, as well as experience initiating, driving and managing in-event conference calls.
• The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential, along with effective prioritization and time management. Preferred Qualifications
•Linux system skills
• Strong experience in automation, orchestration, including shell scripting or programming languages include Python, Perl or Shell.
• Knowledge of network hardware and packet forwarding architecture