Software Development Manager - AWS Redshift
Amazon is building some of the largest distributed systems in the world, and we need smart people to help make these successful. This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, as part of AWS, working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
A successful Software Development Manager will lead a team of talented engineers in designing, building and maintaining highly available, massively scalable systems. This team will have the opportunity to work on highly visible projects that directly impact thousands of customers. Responsibilities include direct management of development engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams.
The ideal candidate will look like this….
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Enjoy being a really great people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class systems & software engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
Have a strong understanding of Software Development, Linux & Networking Technologies. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a software development engineer. You will also have a strong level of knowledge in Linux. You will enjoy keeping your technical skills reasonably current, to the point that you can still contribute to architecture discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
Have strong project & product management experience. The successful candidate will create product roadmaps for the team. This will include helping innovate and invent new value-add services layered on top of our existing services. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. Experience with Agile methodologies is an advantage.
Know how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. They will excel at using metrics, monitoring and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes and performance of their team. Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software.
• 2+ years experience as a People Manager in a software development organization.
• Knowledge of Unix/Linux, C++, Ruby or Java, OO and Service Oriented Architecture. Preferred Qualifications
• Demonstrated leadership ability as software development manager
• Project management experience with agile development methodology
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• People management, team building and mentoring experience
• Strong experience with stakeholder management
• Ideally has an understanding of and can apply statistical analysis