Data Governance Analyst
Supports business and technology partners to help create a culture where data is managed as a valuable corporate asset. Develops, maintains, and monitors data governance processes and tools to improve the quality of BMO data and reduce overall data risk. Develop and implement integrated roadmap to guide the review, design, implementation, and ongoing operation of date governance practices and data management processes in alignment with Enterprise Data Governance Operating Directive in applicable areas of the organization. Facilitates input and influences business and technology stakeholders in the aspects of data governance and provides guidance to design and implementation teams on interpretation of enterprise date governance policies and maintains alignment between data governance practices and the data strategy.
Qualifications Typically between 4 - 6 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Skilled in statistical analysis environments (e.g. R, MATLAB, SPSS or SAS) Skilled in working with BI tools such as Tableau and Microstrategy, relational databases and Hadoop-based data mining frameworks Knowledge in working with SQL, Python, Java and C/C++. Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business experience. Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth. Collaboration & team skills - In-depth. Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth. Influence skills - In-depth. Data driven decision making - In-depth.
- Monitors and reports on data management requirements and compliance issues, impacts and resolution status to leadership and data governance team.
- Provides technical support, mentoring coaching and training to more junior database team members in order to foster professional development.
- Supports the assessment, root cause analysis, and formulating proposed solutions/remediation strategies for leadership review and approval.
- Escalates data and compliance issues.
- Develops stakeholder communications and training in support of data management process implementation.
- Conducts needs assessments, identifies gaps and provides suggestions to improve and streamline data governance & management processes based on operational insights.
- Documents and maintains operational procedures and processes.
- Supports the resolution of data issues by coordinating stakeholders in the information chain.
- Leads or participates in defining the communication plan designed to positively influence or change behaviour; develops tailored messaging about data governance; and identifies appropriate distribution channels.
- Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Provides technical support and mentoring to more junior database team members in order to foster professional development coaching and training to more junior team members as required.
- Performs quality assurance activities to ensure handling, storage, and collection of data complies with Bank Policy and regulatory requirements.
- Supports the management of BMO's data as a key asset that facilitates effective decision making.
- Contribute to development of data strategies and data governance policies, procedures, and processes.
- Performs database and application tuning and capacity planning in order to verify that the business requirements are met within the SLA (Service Level Agreement) and standards.
- Develops data solutions and makes recommendations based on an understanding of the business strategy and stakeholder needs.
- Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of data solutions.
- Identifies and implements the optimum means to collect, process, analyze and report on information and ensure ongoing accuracy, integrity and security.
- Participates in the timely resolution of operating/technical problems or manages escalation with other BMO technical support groups.
- Assists in the identification of change impacts through requirements gathering, mapping and documenting current and proposed processes.
- Provides support to projects and/or manages operational changes including supporting Technology with the validation and testing of enterprise managed systems.
- Provides support on data management process implementation and sustainment activities to ensure stakeholder awareness and adoption of data governance in work including but not limited to development of business tools, end use procedure documentation.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders. Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Supports development and execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently on a range of complex tasks, which may include unique situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
We're here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.