Director of Engineering - Platform Organization
Requisition ID: 66887
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Overview
The Director of PLATO Business Event Layer engineering is reponsible for building and implementing technical capabilities within our Data Stack. Key areas of focus inlcude Data mapping in stream, API interfaces, Reporting capabilities and other data services on the Data Event environemnt. This role will collaborate closely with other technology partners within the Enterprise Data Engineering team, Enterprise Architecture and Cloud Engineering teams to deliver these capabilities and advance the Data as a Service strategy.
The incumbent will also be a member of the Enterprise Data Services leadership team and execpted to contribute in advancing the overall DaaS agenda forward. The incumbent is expected to form strategic relationship with key IT and business stakeholders and advance the DaaS agenda through effective partnership and influence.
The Director, is accountable for the leadership and end-to-end delivery of technology capabilities in the EDL Data Stack that are required for key business capability enablement. Responsibilities inlcude developing and delivering on a program portfolio working closely with Big Data Solution Architecture and Data Engineering teams, Enterprise Architecture and ECCO (Infrastructure & Production Support)
1. Following the Event Layer Strategic Roadmap, define an actionable project plan, including individual project scope, schedule, resourcing and supporting processes & procedures
2. Define team, team structure, roles & responsibilities of cross functional muti-disciplinary teams with matrix relationship
3. Coordinate activities across multiple teams and ensure deliverables meet timelines
4. Monitor, manage and mitigate risks and issues related to individual work streams and overall program
5. Monitor, track, and report progress - prepare project dashboards and status reports, including executive dashboards
5. Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
7. Provide techical leadership and guidance to the team drawing on expertise from subject matter experts, including vendor partners.
8. Maintain effective vendor relationship with key vendor partners in plan execution and advancing the EDL platform.
9. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the industry best practice in the data technology space and provide thought leadership in developing strategic plans for the EDL and data technology stack
- Strong technical savvy with software and data products development background and subject matter expertise in the Big Data technology space (Hadoop eco system, Spark, Cloud, API, Streaming/Real-time etc)
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the "big picture" view
1. Bachelors degree or higher preferably in the Computer Science, Engineering or Finance discipline
2. Project management and/or Agile certification is an asset
3. Must have experience in successfully implementing software development projects using Agile methodologies including 8+ years of experience in leading large and complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-functional teams
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Manager, Bank, Banking, Engineer, Developer, Management, Finance, Engineering, Technology