Engineering Consultant - Platform Organization
Requisition ID: 70402
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Engineering Consultant
Scotiabank is in the process of actively modernizing its technology landscape, particularly around areas of cloud computing and core banking services. Full stack engineers at "Platform Modernization" group are at the center of this exciting journey. You'll be working with other engineers to build great products and features that are used by internal and external customers and have a wide impact across the entire organization. You'll also participate in architecture discussions and planning sessions, helping make some of the most significant decisions for the product.
We're looking for people with strong background or interest in building successful products or systems, bright and energetic individuals who can help us accelerate Scotiabank's journey in turning into a true technology company.
- Design, build and maintain products, owning and solving problems from end-to-end.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with other teams on building reusable components that are incorporated in multiple products.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being a generalist working on both the frontend and the backend, solving and owning problems from end-to-end.
- Employ strong comfort level in dealing with ambiguity and lots of moving pieces.
- Have exquisite attention to detail and strive for the best possible solution to a given problem.
- Approach each problem in a creative way, successfully navigating through constraints and limitations.
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security and design.
- Always look for ways to improve and learn new things.
What's it like to work here?
Our group is striving to hire the best local talent. We challenge everything we see and always look for ways to improve things. Our mission is of a cosmic scale yet we try to stay laser-focused. We're looking for great thinkers and problem solvers who have diverse experience with today's technology. We try not to limit ourselves by established patterns and practices and look for ways to apply cutting edge technology to solve today's and tomorrow's problems. Our team is quite young and diverse and we can definitely say that we truly enjoy being one big family and have a lot of fun working together.
- 3+ years of experience designing and implementing software.
- Extensive experience designing and implementing RESTful services, good knowledge of HTTP specifics.
- Knowledge of most common software design patterns.
- Awareness of how scalable, enterprise-level software system is designed (both on code and infrastructure levels).
- Experience working with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server).
- Understanding of software release process (environments, binary repositories, CI/CD).
- Bachelor (equivalent or higher) degree in Computer Science.
- Experience designing and implementing mobile applications and services.
- Good knowledge of various networking protocols and terminology (TCP/IP, gateways, routers, firewalls, etc.).
- Experience designing and implementing cloud-based applications, awareness of main public cloud offerings (Microsoft Azure, AWS, GCP).
- Experience working with scripting languages (Bash, PowerShell).
- Experience working in Agile environment.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Consultant, Consulting, Engineer, Bank, Banking, Contract, Engineering, Finance