Principal Architect, EA
Requisition ID: 67289
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video J ob Title:
Principal Architect, Enterprise Architecture Department:
Information Technology & Solutions Business Line: Purpose of Job:
The incumbent is responsible for managing a set of tasks and techniques used to work as a liaison among various stakeholders in order to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend technical / business solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
To achieve this, the incumbent will direct a team of IT Managers and professionals responsible for the design, development, delivery and support of IT business solutions for a major function or business line.
Working with an advanced level of expertise, the Principal Architect is responsible for the full development life cycle, management of projects/programs, and the direction of technical and business resources within the IT business line.
The Principal Architect works with the business unit management and forms alliances on projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements and vendor management
The incumbent will effectively manage and supervise departmental and project staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback including the preparation of performance appraisals, and as needed, providing counsel and coaching, and arranging for formal training. This also includes the recruitment of qualified development staff. The incumbent will participate in long-range strategy planning and manage policy development to address complex business issues. Specific Area Purpose: Reporting Relationships
Head, Architecture - Enterprise Architecture
Senior Architects, Enterprise Architecture Major Accountabilities:
- The incumbent is responsible for planning and directing application/technology projects and ongoing support.
- Typically involving multiple systems and impact more than one area or subcomponent(s) of major application/technology projects
- Ensuring it meets the needs of the user group across the platform(s) and adheres to the architectural direction of Bank standards
- Understands the strategic direction of the enterprise and the supporting IT systems and architectures.
- The Principal Architect is responsible for leading technical teams in the areas of scheduling, technical direction, future planning and standard development practices.
- Provides counseling and coaching
- Recruits qualified resources for projects
- Develops departmental capability to exploit technology and develop expertise to meet future business requirements
- Ensures succession planning for all critical positions
- The incumbent is responsible for building and maintaining a strong working relationship with peers/management within the business lines.
- Partnering with stakeholders/teams to translate business strategies/requirements and identify appropriate solutions to deliver on objectives
- The Principal Architect will participate in the budgeting processes and quality improvement activities for his/her department and/or projects.
- Interprets, applies and monitors return on parameters and performance indicators for all new initiatives supported by the area
- May be required to work with Project Management, Business Analysis and Finance resources to ensure appropriate financial management of projects and operations
- Interprets and implements continuous improvement process for production issues to ensure the effective and timely resolution of problems and knowledge transfer
- The Principal Architect will meet scheduled milestones to ensure project/program objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensures the timely development and/or implementation of solutions
- Actively facilitate problem resolution, in anticipation of production problems.
The incumbent must have at least 10-15 years of IT and business/industry work experience.
The incumbent must have systems knowledge and experience (existing systems and new technologies).
The incumbent must have business knowledge and experience (understanding of vision, financial objectives/how business functions and core processes interact/the strategic importance of projects, how they relate to Scotiabank's goals, how projects interact/impact of change and/or delays in projects).
The incumbent must have process knowledge and experience in scheduling, resource allocation, risk management and systems design.
The incumbent must be experienced in the project management of highly complex technology projects.
The incumbent must be experienced in vendor management, including contract negotiations and managing outsourcers.
The incumbent must be experienced in managing offshore resources.
The incumbent must have in-depth knowledge of the principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing the activities related to planning, managing and implementing software projects and programs.
The incumbent will have a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, OR equivalent work experience. Dimensions:
The incumbent is responsible for all projects within the department and manages multiple small and large projects concurrently. The incumbent must ensure high availability, integrity and reliability of programs and processes developed where the consequence of error could expose the Bank to a significant loss or undue risk. The incumbent is expected to identify strategies and objectives and act to implement them on his/her own initiative. The incumbent is guided by Bank policy and receives broad direction from the Vice President (or immediate supervisor) and is expected to support the division in identifying strategic priorities and opportunities. The incumbent is expected to function independently to ensure that the department's objectives are met. Working Conditions:
The position requires concentrated use of sight and touch at a computer terminal on average 3-4 hrs/day. The incumbent must work under tight deadlines, conflicting priorities and changing project requirements.
The incumbent must be able to react quickly to resolve technical problems and work exceptional hours on many occasions to meet implementation deadlines or resolve production issues in order to minimize impact to the end users.
The incumbent must be available on short notice to supervise and guide staff during systems outages. The incumbent may be required to travel to remote locations several times per year and potentially for an extended period of time. Key Contacts:
Internal to Scotiabank Position/Department/Unit Reason Frequency
Colleagues/Departments in IT&S (IS&C, Audit etc.)
Develop plans, work on project deliverables, provide updates
VP's and SVP's within the Business Lines
Develop plans, work on projects, secure requirements
Project status updates and approvals
Frequently Key Contacts:
External to Scotiabank Position/Department/Unit Reason Frequency
Provide expertise on internal projects
Regulators (OSFI, OSC, MFDA)
Industry and/or legislative requirements
Vendors (IBM, Symcor, Interac, TATA)
Outsourcing, Off-The-Shelf Products
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Architecture, Bank, Banking, Engineer, Developer, Engineering, Finance, Technology