Senior Cloud Engineer
Requisition ID: 65472
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Overview
Scotiabank has embarked on the journey to modernize both development practices and tools. One of the main areas of transformation is the public cloud and the various platform technologies that support both development and operations on the cloud. The aim is to provide a streamlined process and framework which will allow the development teams to focus on building business logic. We are looking to build our development team with influencer, makers, creators and industry leaders who will drive us forward.
We are looking for someone to join this team as a Senior Cloud Engineer. Reporting to the Director of Hosted Cloud Services in PLATO (Platform Organization), you will work closely with the other cloud engineers to develop and support the hosted services which form the platform components for the broad enterprise use. What we are looking for?
We are looking for someone who will work closely with other Data Engineers, Cloud Engineers, and Business Stakeholders to design and develop the technical solutions for the specific cloud requirements. The key accountabilities include:
Are you the right person for the role?
- Develop, manage and maintain cloud platform services and components to enable safe enterprise-wide use of cloud common functionality.
- Provide level 3 support and production support
- Design, implement and refactor code (typically Java or Python).
- Participate in design discussions focused on scalability and design and implementation best practices.
- Ensure software, programs and applications are developed and/or configured to meet high availability, integrity and reliability requirements.
- Work with other lead engineers and architects on breaking-down, scoping and estimating tasks.
- Participate in planning and retrospective sessions, attending stand-ups, etc.
- Be able to build and operate the highly available and scalable software and infrastructure.
- Provide mentorship, peer review and code review
- Lead a product/service, and define functions or features of services hosted on cloud
What's in it for you?
- Enthusiasm for cloud transformation and cloud platform/components/services development.
- Strong development experience, delivery history and breadth of language experience (Java, Python).
- Full understanding of software development life cycle as well as related technologies
- Sufficient domain expertise in cloud platform features and capabilities
- Proven experience in cloud development (Google GCP and/or Microsoft Azure).
- Ability to solve ambiguous and typically novel problems that require the effort of several engineers
- Full stack experience in product development
- Experience in technical leadership of small to medium sized technical teams in delivering production solutions
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken; of specific importance the strong communication to a technical audience
- Knowledge of software design patterns, ETL, and security considerations
- Direct the work of 2-3 Cloud Engineers and led the team to deliver production solutions
- Awareness of how scalable, enterprise-level software system is designed (both on code and infrastructure levels).
- Experience working with relational databases
- Understanding of software release process (environments, binary repositories, CI/CD).
- Attention to details, high standards for quality.
- Desire to learn, grow yourself and your team.
- Passion for driving teams towards high performance and a deep pride in quality craftsmanship that delights users.
- Writing and maintaining related documentation.
- Experience within Canadian financial institutions a benefit
- The opportunity to join a forward-thinking company surrounded by a collaborative team of innovative thinkers.
- A great opportunity to leave your "stamp" as we are undergoing multiple exciting and forward thinking initiatives.
- A rewarding career path with diverse opportunities for professional development.
- Internal development to support your growth and enhance your skills.
- A competitive compensation and benefits package.
- An organization committed to making a difference in our communities- for you and our customers.
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Engineer, Cloud, Web Design, Finance, Engineering, Technology, Creative