Senior Manager, Operation Risk Management Reviews and Special Projects
Responsibilities include supporting the Enterprise Operational Risk mandate as it applies through the following key accountabilities:
• Key role in development, implementation, launch and management of the Enterprise ORM Reviews
• Lead end to end and/or represent ORM, as a SME, on key operational risk projects to drive continuous improvement and key initiatives
• Lead on audit and regulatory matters focused on ORM Reviews and Special Projects
• Work closely and create value add bridges with key partners(e.g. other ORM teams, CSAs etc) Key Accountabilities:
1. ORM Reviews and Change Management
• In close engagement with the ORM Leadership team, support the ORM Reviews capability to understand risk exposures and process failures and address top and emerging operational risk issues as they arise at the Enterprise level and other jurisdictions. Accountabilities include initial review and challenge risk identification for root cause and remediation actions, completeness based on knowledge of the external environment and a comprehensive understanding of the business on an end-to-end basis. Examine and structure review response and summary, development of proposed action plans as well as deep dive analysis, including the proposed project framework and identification of ORM resources across the north-south teams.
• Support the oversight, management and integration of the ORM Reviews programs, including working with the ORM Corporate Areas team to assure the adequate implementation of the ORMF across jurisdictions, monitor actions to remediate any shortcomings, provide guidance on ORMF as it connects with the ORM reviews program
• Represent the operational risk discipline during change impact analysis and assessment, technology and business requirements-gathering, business case development, solution development, review and sign-off, implementation planning and support, issue escalation and management, sustainment and change acceptance, leadership updates and recommendations, using advanced knowledge of operational risk function and processes
• Support operational risk improvements and initiatives to provide context, information and analysis on proposed changes. Initiatives may include the development and implementation of new/ revised products, new systems or enhancements, new/ revised processes in support of internal efficiencies and industry regulatory changes
2. Lead Operational Risk Special Projects
• Lead end- to end ORM special projects. Includes objective development, setting timelines, managing resources, status reporting and final disposition, presentations, follow-up.
• Lead and/or represent ORM, as a SME, on key operational risk projects to drive continuous improvement including analyzing problems and generating creative solutions by collaborating, providing leadership, as well as managing projects, as required (i.e. risk assessment for new product development)
• Promote operational risk culture and awareness of risk programs
• Monitor, analyze, and communicate opportunities for operational risk management improvement, including recommending solutions
• Support and/or deliver change management initiatives related to framework changes, processes, systems, or regulatory requirements.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of operational risk programs
3. Risk Knowledge and Program Management
• Support the end-to-end operational risk programs and frameworks that ensure designated unit/cross unit compliance with internal and external guidelines, policies and regulations in collaboration with operational risk management staff. Interpret outcomes from the OROs and identify potential issues for appropriate executive and senior management decision-making
• Contribute to knowledge repositories (e.g., libraries, documentation and support materials) ensuring completeness, accuracy, timeliness and security/integrity of information to support the advancement of risk management capability and proficiency
• Support the ORM leadership as a SME and serve as a coordinator of contact points between external regulators and/or designated ORO groups, providing leadership, advice, guidance, consultation and direction in the area of expertise to executives and senior management to ensure operational risk management processes are in accordance with internal and external standards and guidelines
• Advise and counsel executives and senior management on risk exposures, programs and plans
4. General Accountabilities
• Build and maintain relationships with industry contacts (internal and external), regulatory officials, and external consultants for the purpose of enhancing business effectiveness and efficiencies
• Support the delivery of exceptional customer service that builds trust through responsive, accurate, consistent, knowledgeable and available services and support.
• Align individual performance goals to team and organizational goals
• Demonstrate behaviors that are consistent with "Being BMO" model and aligned with BMO values Qualifications Knowledge & Skills:
• University degree/college diploma.
• 5-7+ years of experience in operational/risk management, financial planning & strategy, control/process management or audit, within the financial services industry
• Strong knowledge and understanding of key products and services, processes, controls and organization
• Internal knowledge of the organization an advantage
• Strong understanding of operational risk concepts and related control frameworks and practices
• Advanced understanding of industry practices and risk reporting fundamentals
• Solid understanding and knowledge of the business planning process, reporting cycles and requirements, protocols for sign-offs and information sharing, and key business metrics
• Solid understanding of system design, databases and business intelligence techniques
• Strong leadership abilities
• Strong project management skills
• Advanced facilitation/ presentation and change management skills
• Advanced written and oral communication skills, with the capability to present and articulate complex concepts
• Advanced report design and writing skills, with ability to create and organize varying forms of business information while developing it into cohesive, meaningful, professional reports and presentations
• Advanced stakeholder relationship management skills
• Excellent conceptual skills, with an ability to quickly understand concepts and translate them into meaningful information (incl presentation & communication skills to effectively execute change)
• Strong ability to influence others.
• Advanced prioritization skills
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
• Advanced planning skills (re finance, resource, strategy, business)
• Strong conflict management/ resolution skills
• Strong teamwork skills
• Strong logic and data integration skills
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills
We're here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.