Software Engineer - Platform Organization
Requisition ID: 66826
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video
The Application Engineering in The Platform Organization (PLATO) provides Enterprise portfolio management, best practices and governance, solution design, development, integration and operational services for enterprise products and services. The Customer Security Services team focuses on delivering products and solutions for customer digital identity management and authentication through a variety of delivery channels.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, the Software Engineer ensures requirements to the development engineering team are delivered as per business specifications torward self serve automation. Creates user stories and ensures final delivery met customers' product expectation. She/He will ensure all applicable test cases are aligned with technical requirements, will support the execution of IST and UAT testing in preparation for production releases, maintaining documentation in confluence and jira.
The candidate will support the onboarding of new channels by determining if professional services or additional development is required, managing the relationship with different countries/regions for new opportunities. As well, in this position the individual will support migration strategies that is outside of the norm to meet special SLA's and different country/regions regulatory needs.
The Software Engineer will provide feedback to Product roadmaps a hands-on Senior advisor/technical to deliver a Customer Authentication solutions which is based upon ForgeRock Identity & Access Management platform. Must lead technical and business discussions with cross-functional cross-domain teams/audience.
Must be highly skilled in troubleshooting and problem solving in a highly integrated multi-domain multiprocessing environment, primarily Java SDK and runtime, Linux, Oracle DB, LDAP, Apache Tomcat, REST APIs and UI, but not limited to this list.
The successful candidate must have at least 7 years of progressive IT experience including leading design sessions, rationalizing and making complex design decisions, solid Java web application design and development from front end GUI to back end services. At least 3 years solid working knowledge in Identity management on Authentication/Authorization best practise/protocol/standards and open interfaces. Familiar and adapt to Continuous Integration and Deployment methodology.
Solid understanding of Agile methodology backed by hands on experience, development techniques and best practices for an enterprise framework.
The individual must thrive in a fast paced, challenging environment with short learning curves. Must be proactive and dynamic, and demonstrate initiative and eagerness to succeed.
* Support management on planning, forecasting of the projects/initiatives to be delivered within the Operational budget
* Act as a Subject Matter Expert as well as a tech lead to multiple scrum teams
* Liaison with bank technical areas to address application, security and network/communication issues and project coordination
* Keep pace with Industry Authentication Authorization standards to optimize design for customer and security acceptance
* Participate in all aspects of a project life cycle (Requirements, Analysis, Design, Code, Test, Implementation and Production handover)
* Create documentation including design, operational and support documents
* Lead design sessions and code/program design/review
* Minimum 5 years solid project management experience in these mentioned or related technologies
* Evaluate new technology options and vendor products
* Regularly conveying status to team and management
* Support creation of materials for various management reviews and meetings
* Help drive best practices in order to eliminate waste, increase innovation and create value for the business
* Strong supporting role to Project Managers in developing relationships with the project teams and stakeholders
* Production support and escalation during the day as well as off-hours. Considerable effort is placed into determining, developing and providing sound and rapid judgement to production issues for recommendations on either workaround or resolutions that minimizes unplanned production outages
Must have skills:
• At least 5 years of experience developing and supporting applications. At least 2 years working knowledge on Identity Management solutions
• Strong Java OO Programming skills. Familiarity with Spring, Java 8 features
• Excellent algorithms and data structure skills
• Must be keen to learn new technologies on a regular basis
• Basic DB administration experience (Oracle, SQL Server)
• Experience with Agile software development and project management methodologies
• Experience with version control systems such as Git and SVN
• Excellent verbal and written communication capabilities, demonstrated from both technical and business perspectives
• Skilled in communicating design concept to influence audience for difficult decisions
• Excellent problem solving skills; have vision and innovative approach to computer based solutions and ability to convey these ideas
• Exceptional planning and analytical skills, ability to focus on the critical issues
• Must be flexible to adapt to a dynamic environment, make quick and sound decisions under pressure
• Must be reliable, proactive, results-oriented, customer-focused and attentive to details
• Must be able to think out-of-the-box
• Excellent English verbal and written communication
• Strong knowledge and demonstrable experience of common IT organizational technology and processes.
• Must have an expert ability to balance competing or conflicting goals of various departments/staekholders, requiring a mature, diplomatic approach and well developed negotiation and influencing skills.
• Proficient in MS Office - Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Nice to have:
• Solid experience working on Infrastructure centric platforms and cloud based computing, cloud foundry, a good understanding and working knowledge of the server and network configurations both for deployment and at run-time.
• Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, FTP, SMTP).
• Seasoned in CI & CD skills an dtools.
• Familiar with cloud and container technologies (eg: GCP and Kubernetes experiences)
• Some familiarity with Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines(Jira, Jenkins, Gradle, Bitbucket, Artifactory etc.)
• Possess comprehensive knowledge of QA methodology, procedures and standards.
• Possess well developed leadership ability, as well as coaching and training experiences.
• Banking/Financial Services' working experience would be an asset.
• Familiarity with Scotiabank's various business lines (Insurance, Wealth) and channels (LEAP, SCO) is an asset.
• Fluency (writing and speaking) in Spanish language is an asset
Computer Science / Engineering Degree or equivalent
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Developer, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Bank, Banking, Technology, Engineering, Finance