APAC Regional Customer Tax Lead
This position supports the Firm's [Asian/EMEA/LATAM] businesses by providing advice to all regional businesses and operations with respect to federal and local tax rules impacting financial products and services that are provided to customers and clients from businesses in all countries in that region.This will involve understanding the products and services that are provided to customers and clients in the region and providing advice to other functions to ensure all tax rules affecting those products are identified and product offerings comply with such rules.
This role is a critical and influential role in shaping and driving change across the region at Citi. This role provides an outstanding opportunity to work with senior functional and business management across the region and may impact the financial results of the Firm through reduction of potential tax risks.Working in partnership with the Businesses, Operations, Risk and external advisors, the successful candidate will exercise good legal and business judgment to develop proactive business-oriented tax process solutions. Responsibilities include:
- Partner with stakeholders throughout the Firm to ensure that the applicable federal and local tax rules - including withholding tax, VAT/GST, stamp tax and transaction taxes - are up-to-date, understood, and implemented appropriately for each Business in the region.
- Establish close, collaborative interaction with global, regional and country Tax, Business, Operations, Risk and other functions responsible for developing, reviewing and maintaining BAU tax processes.
- Support Businesses and Operations in any remediation of tax processes by providing advice regarding efficient improvement of controls and processes.
- Lead inclusion of all up-to-date tax rules for the region in any requisite regulatory databases, by partnering with internal and external subject matter experts.
The position requires a committed effort to stay abreast of tax regulatory and industry initiatives that impact the Businesses across the region.This position also requires proactive motivation to understand and transform existing tax operational processes across businesses and operational platforms.
Candidates should have a strong working knowledge of tax information reporting and withholding rules, including FATCA and Common Reporting Standards. Strong knowledge of financial service tax rules impacting financial services customers/clients is necessary.Candidates will be expected to work in coordination with subject matter experts and other stakeholders to educate Businesses on new tax developments and to ensure that new policies, controls and procedures are implemented successfully.
The successful candidate is solution-oriented and business practical, advising businesses on risk and mitigants. Knowledge/Experience:
- JD, CPA or equivalent required
- Tax experience at a law firm, accounting firm or financial services corporation
- Experience with tax operations issues, ideally with experience leading change and executing on transformation initiatives
- Good understanding of products offered by a financial institution and the applicable tax treatment (withholding, VAT/GST, transaction taxes)
- Working with multiple stakeholders and in an organization with a matrix management structure
- Good understanding of financial products, businesses, reporting systems, applicable accounting and tax regimes of the geographies within the region
- Ability to communicate simply, clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing, adjusting style to suit the audience
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to deal with colleagues at all levels across the Firm
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills
- Ability to gain consensus and agreement across disparate functions, products and geographies
- Proven project management experience
Job Family Group:
- Ambitious and hardworking
- Willing to learn
- Be a team player
- Positive and proactive work style
Finance Job Family:
Tax Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting