AVP, Head of Digital Delivery
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Manulife Hong Kong
- 18 Sep 18 2018-09-18
AVP, Head of Digital Delivery
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
As Manulife Asia's lead software engineer, this technology leader will possess extensive hands-on digital software development work experience. They will also possess the ability to keep abreast of technology developments and be able to demonstrate their applicability to Manulife. Specifically, the role is responsible for:
- Establishing and enforcing engineering and devOps best practices within regional agile delivery. This includes establishing software standards, technical guides / playbooks, and robust software code frameworks. And then providing ongoing technical assurance of solutions to maintain high levels of software quality, consistency, maintainability, scalability and security.
- Maximizing the reuse of software, solutions & skills across Manulife Asia to achieve cost efficiencies and speed to market. By designing software for repeat usage (eg. next country, next channel, next product…) with an eye of future requirements utilizing data driven configurations, smart core/branch code library management, micro-services, repeatable technical playbooks and devOps and testing automation practices.
- Providing regional scale in application delivery and engineering services by closely collaborating with, mentoring and guiding offshore COE engineering teams (Manila and Vietnam - Manulife and vendor staff). Measured by effectiveness of knowledge transfer to offshore teams, best practice alignment and reuse on repeat implementations.
- Keeping abreast of technology developments and be able to demonstrate their practical application and benefits to Manulife. Achieved via a combination of self-study of the industry and close collaboration with Asia ATO and Global Engineering peers (tasked with pioneering new technology standards/tools), whereby this role acts as a conduit to the broader COE team.
- People Management and Scheduling of Hong Kong based Digital Engineering team resources in coordination with offshore COE teams.
- Maintaining strong collaborative communication/relationships with key Business & IT leaders and Service providers to ensure transparency on key engineering service activities and practices. Particularly when interacting with both Global engineering colleagues sharing practices and offshore COE teams on enabling Asia delivery.
- Travel within Asia and globally (eg. Toronto) as required to meet Engineering Leadership, delivery and project responsibilities.
This role is directly linked to the achievement and digital technology enablement of Manulife Asia's profitable growth ambitions.
Strategy & Planning
Maintain a thorough understanding of MANULIFE Asia's business and IT strategies to provide support during various technology decision making activities Provide the Asia Executive and other decision-making bodies with timely and relevant information on areas of responsibility, including regular reports on progress against plans and budgets and on key performance indicators. Keeping abreast of technology developments and be able to demonstrate their practical application and benefits to Manulife. Achieved via a combination of self-study of the industry and close collaboration with Asia ATO and Global Engineering peers (tasked with pioneering new technology standards/tools), whereby this role acts as a conduit to the broader COE team.
Manulife Digital Application Development Centers of Excellence (COE)
This role forms part of the broader Asia COE organisation. Importantly, while it is responsible for the direct leadership of Hong Kong based Digital Engineering COE staff, the role must also ensure effective functioning of the offshore COE teams "at scale" via the following engineering leadership goals:
Establishing and enforcing engineering and devOps best practices within regional agile delivery. This includes establishing software standards, technical guides / playbooks, and robust software code frameworks. And then providing ongoing technical assurance of solutions to maintain high levels of software quality, consistency, maintainability, scalability and security. Maximizing the reuse of software, solutions & skills across Manulife Asia to achieve cost efficiencies and speed to market. By designing software for repeat usage (eg. next country, next channel, next product…) with an eye of future requirements utilizing data driven configurations, smart core/branch code library management, micro-services, repeatable technical playbooks and devOps and testing automation practices. Providing regional scale in application delivery and engineering services by closely collaborating with, mentoring and guiding offshore COE engineering teams (Manila and Vietnam - Manulife and vendor staff). Measured by effectiveness of knowledge transfer to offshore teams, best practice alignment and reuse on repeat implementations.
Regional Project & Transformation Delivery
Provide leadership, IT expertise and business acumen to the Asia Region in order to strengthen and develop Manulife IT&Ops Asia's credibility both internally and in the market place; Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors while also providing strategic direction to promote and ensure effective collaboration between vendors and project teams Provide direction, consultancy and support to the business operations and project teams and up-skill IT capability across functions and teams within relevant locations; Oversee the successful delivery of relevant digital transformation commitments related to major Asia improvement and growth initiatives; Works closely with Regional teams and Leadership peers to ensure world-class project management activities are embedded into Manulife Asia programs to ensure they are delivered to scope, budget and schedule expectations; Drives effective management of resources to drive resolution of identified project issues and risks, and gains internal / external buy-in that risks and issues are effectively mitigated within desired tolerance levels;
Responsible for the effective management of team Financials. Collaborate with appropriate regional leadership peers and suppliers to attain necessary financial insights, to ensure value realization of captive and third party COE services;
People Management& Leadership
Provide direct leadership and management to Manulife Hong Kong based staff. Functionally provide technical leadership to offshore Manulife and Service provider(s) organisations. Collectively to deliver and exceed on growth expectations, profitability, operating targets and to maximize shareholder value Collaborate with the Manulife IT and Operations team to build an 'exciting and innovative' culture within the teams across Asia that strives to be best in market and customer focused; Establish clear accountabilities and authority levels for direct reports and build a strong culture of accountability and performance in order to ensure delivery of business goals; Ensure the resource mix and talent is appropriate to the required delivery challenges across the Region; Promote excellence through the attraction, continual development and retention of high quality team members with the knowledge, skills and behaviours to deliver excellent outcomes and service; Demonstrate an understanding of and sensitivity to local regional and global sensitivities; Monitor and manage employee engagement; Establish organisational options and succession planning for the function and Long-Term Operating Model; Alignment to internal performance measurement mechanisms and working with peer leaders to properly identify High Potential and Outstanding performing talent. Provide career direction for direct reports through an understanding of all disciplines and their desire for career progression.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 15+ years of experience in project delivery & Software Development Life Cycle (SLDC), with an appreciation of application management (ie. production support etc, not just development).
- 10+ years of experience in senior software engineering and/or architecture roles
- Extensive experience working in Agile and DevOps project delivery
- Extensive experience dealing with third party software service providers
- Extensive experience working with remote/geographically dispersed teams in an on/offshore model
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience implementing Micro services, API, Omni-channel, and Mobile (Native and Hybrid) software architectures.
- Proven delivery experience in enabling software solutions across multiple markets, demonstrating reuse (cost and speed to market savings) thereof.
- Strong awareness of developing IT/insurance & cross industry/competitor trends as related to technology delivery and software engineering. With an ability to practically apply concepts to business value within the organization.
- Strong and proven track record of coaching/mentoring large engineering organizations
- (Preferred but not Mandatory) A deep understanding of the insurance industry, key principles of business and competitive strategy, processes, channels and product offerings.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills
- Ability to communicate, engage with and influence Business & IT Representatives of all levels
- Promotes change
- Manage effectively internal and external relationships
- Financial understanding to assess risk on a profitable basis
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong negotiation skills
- Able to produce detailed reports at various levels
- Excellent project management, delivery and execution focus
- Ability to manage and prioritize personal and team workloads to meet deadlines
- Ability to act as a strategic thought leader for business transformation
- Ability to challenge constructively on requirements or assumptions whilst maintaining positive and professional relationships
- Complex problem solving skills and critical thinking: Ability to analyze and use data for decision making
- Appreciation of cultural differences across the Asia region
Position Dimensions (Organizational Impact):
- Will play a pivotal role in both strategic program scale to deliver and robustness of practices to support implemented digital solutions. As such this role and function will be critical to the success of the business growth across the Asia Region.
- Will service several senior internal stakeholders including (but not limited to): CIO/COO Asia, CIO SEA, CIO HK, CIO Japan, ATO and Global counterparts.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.