We are currently seeking budding actuaries or those keen to develop a career in actuarial consulting to join us in addressing the financial challenges of helping Asia plan for their retirement, supporting corporations to provide the most appropriate pension benefits to their people and to develop to become an influencer in the pension industry. This role will be based in Hong Kong, with direct client communication (verbal and written) and management exposure from day one. There is study support for the actuarial professional exams. Mercer celebrates diversity and we provide a broad platform to those keen on supporting clients in their journey to financial freedom.
In this role, you will
- Acquire knowledge of valuing benefit obligations relating to pension or long-term severance benefits under the Hong Kong pension regime. Support corporate sponsors in understanding options to manage their pension schemes, balancing the trade-off between cost and adequate coverage.
- Have project management and client management responsibilities that is appropriate for this role as you develop as actuarial consulting skills, helping clients resolve their pension needs, understand pension trends and shape the market. Lead small initiatives and projects where you will be empowered to make decisions.
- Support on research and analytics, as part of forming Mercer’s local views on issues that our clients will be interested in. You will be able to apply your findings to arrive at recommendations or observations to add value to our clients, under guidance of more experienced colleagues.
- Participate in investment consulting work, as Mercer Wealth team combines actuarial and investment consulting professionals.
To be successful in this role, there are some basic expectations but we wish to emphasize that Mercer takes an approach of trusting individuals to shape the role based on maximum contribution to the overall team and pushing boundaries for personal development.
- Good academic track record in numerical subjects such as Mathematics, Finance (Accounting/Management/Behavioral), Actuarial Sciences, Engineering and so on.
- Can demonstrate strong communication, analytical and technical skills – comfortable with managing and manipulating large amounts of data in an efficient manner. Ability to articulate complex and technical information, within parameters of your role and level, in layman and concise ways
- Have strong self-initiative and curiosity in financial services, self-motivated to seek out knowledge, test ideas and ways to contribute to the team. Ability to build relationships by communicating, influencing and negotiating effectively with team members.
- Need to have strong personal management in order to plan ahead for foreseeable tasks, and understand own capacity for unforeseeable tasks. Manage the schedule for routine jobs, and be able to provide estimates of the time required to complete your tasks for senior management reporting.
- Language requirements: Strong English, Cantonese and Mandarin abilities.