Associate Director, Corp Gov
IHS Markit's APAC Corporate M&A and Governance Advisory team is seeking a highly consultative corporate governance expert to join its dynamic team in Hong Kong. The candidate will be responsible to lead the governance advisory team across Asia to focus on growing our network and business especially in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Japan.
IHS Markit's M&A and Governance Advisory team advises corporate issuers, predominantly their management, supervisory board, investor relations and corporate secretary teams, on public takeovers, general meetings as well as sensitive governance-related topics as board composition, remuneration votes, auditors or activist attacks. Team:
The team advises issuers on corporate governance risks and supports companies with their governance engagement to different stakeholder groups, such as institutional investors, sell side, investment banks, proxy voting, legal and communication advisors. The team regularly serves as an information agent and connects intelligence of company and its financial, legal and communication advisors with proprietary information uncovered directly from institutional investors, to strategically consult on a public takeover, restructuring, proxy solicitation, activist defence or important shareholder vote. Examples of specific projects would be the preparation of an issuer in relation to their general meeting, where investors have to vote on critical agenda items such as board elections or the strategic consulting of a company in the case of an activist attack, where the team has to convince other investors and stakeholders of the rationale of our client. Or the general preparation of governance roadshows, investor engagement or preparation of ESG related meeting material of our client before the communication to international shareholders. Role:
We are looking for an experienced manager and governance expert to join a prominent market leader with a tremendous growth story, dedicated to helping businesses globally make the right decisions specifically around governance and capital markets engagement, based in our Hong Kong office.
You are applying for a dynamic career path within a passionate and fast paced environment that both gives responsibility and freedom to be entrepreneurial and build our Corporate Governance and ESG team in the region. The candidate will be asked to step in to lead and build the APAC governance advisory business (currently seven team members) and cooperate closely with the local advisory teams to advise Asian issuers on their corporate governance and ESG risks and support them in retainer and ad hoc campaigns. The leadership role will require the candidate to manage the APAC business strategically and operationally. The candidate will be exposed to corporate governance products, data and services, including cross-asset class ownership data, institutional voting data, investor profiles, securities lending and shorting data as well combined services as information agent solutions as well as proxy and tender in Asia.
The candidate collaborates with the global product groups and reports directly to the Global Head of Corporate Governance and M&A Advisory. This position is client-facing and requires heavy interaction with corporations, focused on board, investor relations and management level personas at both prospects and clients. Exposure to investment banks, legal advisors and third parties is expected as well. What you'll work on:
What we look for:
- Build a strategic business plan for the APAC region, incl. Go-To-Market strategies that feature a product/service, collateral and market review
- Manage the Asian governance team which is located across several offices on a day to day basis
- Assisting clients on a retainer basis, Pre-AGM or in the lead up, as well as during M&A activity.
- Researching ESG and Corporate Governance trends and advising issuers on the ESG/CG risks within their shareholder base
- Become a trusted advisor for issuers, investors, bankers when it comes to ESG best practice advice, shareholder activist defence as well as corporate governance best practice
- Regular verbal, face to face and email communication with IHS Markits clients to discuss current projects and strategy to be successful at coming shareholder meetings incl. market watch analytics (e.g. trading activity, sell side trends, shareholder movements)
- To drive business development and advisory capabilities of IHS Markit's M&A, Governance Advisory and ESG services in Europe and UK,
- To build a network with investment banks, legal and communication advisers (M&A, Governance and ESG teams) as well as corporations
- To help develop the expert reputation of IHS Markit and position us as senior advisers with aforementioned stakeholder groups
- Participate and speak at industry events, represent IHS Markit as a thought leader
- Work in collaboration with Account Management, Product Groups and Product Marketing in APAC, but also cross border with the wider EU team or APAC team for cross border transactions
- Opportunity to craft and develop daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports & feedback to issuers and key market players
- Opportunity to build a network of buy-side relationships with investors, custodians and especially corporate action teams
- Built up analytical know how to track shareholder movements to combine market intelligence with ESG projections, market sentiment analytics and governance and M&A advisory capabilities
A highly motivated and personable individual who is dynamic, articulate, well-rounded, critical thinker with the resourcefulness and qualitative skills that will allow them to execute effectively on all internal and external tasks.
- University degree or relevant work experience in a financial industry sector
- Experience in the corporate governance and ESG space, preferably with product experience in proxy and tender solicitation,
- Experience as a team lead both from operational and product perspective
- A creative mind who brings in fresh ideas, challenges the status quo and helps develop the offering and markets
- Someone who doesn't shy away from networking, speaking at events and establishing relationships across the industry
- An ability to oversee and absorb large amounts of information in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Strong understanding of the equity markets and of the Shareholder Meeting and/or M&A process.
- Comfortable speaking with and managing people for the first time and tracking them down via telephone.
- Comfortable working with clients of all different levels including their board, management and corporate secretary teams
- Comfortable talking through strategies and giving advice on complex issues surrounding ESG, corporate governance and Shareholder Meeting Resolutions.
- Comfortable building and maintaining new relationships with the institutional investor, governance advisory and issuer community.
- Must have relevant direct experience with issuers.
- Verbal and written fluency in English required; solid command of Chinese, Korean, Japanese and/or another language is a plus.
- Superior analytical reasoning, oral and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented; able to multi-task; strong organizational skills.
- Strong team and project management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of FactSet, Advanced MS Excel, Bloomberg Workstation, Microsoft PowerPoint and the motivation to learn new applications.
- Fluent in English and Mandarin is must.
Highly competitive compensation and benefits package, depending on experience of the candidate.Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.