Ref. Number: 22085 Department: Operational Services Department Job Type: Global Recruitment Posting Date: Jun. 24, 2022 Closing Date: Aug. 24, 2022 Environment Specialist - Private Sector
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow - infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 105 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Environment Specialist will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of the AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance, and training; and appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). Responsibilities
: Operational Support
Primary responsibility is to assist in the preparation and implementation of investment projects and appraising environmental and social (ES) risks and impacts associated with financial intermediaries (FI) projects. Also, support senior ES colleagues in managing ES risks and impacts from sovereign-backed financings (SBF) and non-sovereign-backed financings (NSBF), against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). More specifically, this responsibility includes supporting Project Team Leaders (PTLs) in:
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Screening of Projects for potential ES, Health and Safety, and Climate Change related risks and impacts and proposing the ES category for the Project.
- Conducting ES due diligence reviews of Projects, undertaking field visits to assess the ES feasibility of the Project and selected sub-projects/activities financed through FIs.
- Supporting the clients on stakeholder consultations, gender analysis, managing labor risks, establishing grievances redress mechanism and disclosure of ES instruments and related information.
- Guiding the clients on preparation and implementation of environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs) and ES management plans, across priority infrastructure sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport as per the requirements of AIIB's ESP.
- Monitoring ES performance of sub-projects/ activities funded by the FIs and addressing any issues that arise during Project implementation, including any changes in Project design or scope.
- Assisting PTLs to address ES non-compliance by the client by providing support to develop, recommend, and monitor courses of action/corrective measures required of the client to bring the Project back to compliance with the AIIB's ES Policy.
- Coordinating joint developments with other departments on new financial products and applicable ES approach and matters related to AIIB's efforts in driving green financing, mobilizing private capital and ESG developments.
- Contribute to AIIB's knowledge base on applying ESP for private sector operations, including FI operations and emerging practices in the application of ESG frameworks.
- Assist in developing and conducting ES training for AIIB staff, consultants, and clients on ES aspects of FI projects and use of ESG approaches in Capital Market operations.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in finance, business, law, environmental management, or other relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with strong project management skills either working for an international bank, asset management, or as a consultant to, a multilateral development banks (MDB), bilateral development organization, development finance institution and/or a private sector organization in managing ES risks associated with FI projects and Capital Market operations.
- The Environmental Specialist must have proven capacity to carry out complex tasks as part of multi-disciplinary teams, work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines; and collaborate with PTLs, clients and key stakeholders on managing environmental risks and impacts.
- Practical knowledge on variety of financial instruments, including equity, bonds, loans, funds and others.
- Experience with the preparation, implementation and monitoring of ES Management Systems (ESMS).
- Ability to participate in development, design and monitoring ES aspects of Projects.
- Familiarity with the Equator Principles, IFC performance standards, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and various ESG ratings/ scores.
- Awareness of potential climate change impact to businesses and the need to decarbonize towards net zero.
- Professional expertise in planning, management and monitoring of ES performance of infrastructure projects and companies, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Experience in monitoring ES aspects of Projects and sub-projects during implementation.
- Proven ability to work professionally with public and/or private sector clients, FIs and development partners (e.g., MDBs, bilateral development organizations and development finance institutions) of AIIB
- Ex cellent written and verbal communication skills in English .
- Knowledge of language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Str ong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency, and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences, and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB's mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.