Job description A Career with Hang Seng Bank
Hang Seng is committed to service excellence. Our people are our most important asset and play a vital role in our efforts to continually enhance our performance for customers and provide best-in-class products and services. We seek to attract high-calibre talent by offering a dynamic working environment, good career development opportunities and competitive compensation packages. Risk and Compliance Division - Regulatory Compliance
The Risk & Compliance function is a Second line of defence (LOD) function, responsible for reviewing and challenging the activities of the Group's businesses (also referred to as "the First LOD") to ensure that they effectively manage as "Risk Owners" the risks inherent in or arising from the conduct of their activities and for which they are responsible. The Second LOD consists of 'Risk Stewards' who are independent of the commercial risk-taking activities undertaken by the First LOD. The Risk & Compliance function is a Risk Steward for a number of risks in accordance with HSBC Group's risk framework.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our department as Head of Regulatory Compliance. Principal responsibilities
- Leads and direct the stewardship of the Regulatory Compliance sub-function, as a partner to the business, supporting growth aspirations whilst retaining the appropriate risk management discipline to achieve the Group's strategic goals.
- Ensures effective relationships with regulators.
- Supports country/entity CRCO in setting key functional targets (e.g. risk appetite) within Regional guardrails.
- Works with and supports LoB risk stewards, to maintain an effective control framework and to ensure compliance with all relevant external laws & regulations, internal codes and policies and good market practices.
- Provides advisory services to LoBs in order to ensure clear understanding of regulatory compliance risk exposure with respect to clients, transactions and products.
- Operates a robust Surveillance control framework which supports the Risk Owners to identify and manage potential exceptions that are identified through systems, controls and processes arising in the course of the Market's business.
- Fosters a strong risk and control and compliance culture, including ensuring adequate management focus and demonstrative "tone from the top".
- Strengthens the Market's and Global Businesses' knowledge of risk and compliance management by incorporating risk and compliance considerations in all activities undertaken to protect and enable the business' activities through a robust risk management understanding.
- Provides oversight of the risk management framework to enhance, standardise and integrate the various risk activities including the implementation of strategic projects and systems.
- Develops, monitors and communicates regulatory compliance strategy and policies throughout the Market leading strategic direction for setting industry standards for regulatory compliance, its challenges, and opportunities to ensure that the Market satisfies the requirements of key regulators.
- Leads a Regulatory Compliance sub-function that is considered to be high quality and fit for purpose underpinned by an appropriate governance infrastructure.
- Maintains cost discipline and achieve efficiencies where appropriate.
- Acts in accordance with HSBC's purpose and values, being cognisant of all applicable local legal, fiscal, regulatory and shareholder requirements as they relate to the Regulatory Compliance sub- function and the operations of HSBC and HASE.
- Champions a culture that prioritizes the fair treatment of all customers, including particular attention to those who are vulnerable or have changing needs, whilst also ensuring that governance, processes and systems support staff to meet the needs of all customers.
- Significant regulatory compliance experience as a regulator or a senior regulatory compliance manager within a global firm, in the financial services industry.
- Successful track record in strategic leadership and influencing is essential, in particular the application of this skill in areas outside their direct span of control.
- Significant knowledge of a regulatory compliance risk framework and experience in its execution, together with knowledge of business and products.
- A background or deep understanding of operational risk is also highly desirable.
- Track record of resilience and confident challenge when dealing with senior stakeholders to influence change without direct responsibility for resources or budget.
- Experience of dealing with regulatory matters and confident interaction with Regulators.
- Experience of creating, leading and motivating a team.
- Experience of working within a matrixed environment preferred.
- Significant leadership experience and an experienced strategic thinker.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, with experience of dealing with executives at all levels.
- Role model leadership, communication and influencing skills, with experience of dealing with executives at all levels including the capacity to articulate the case for risk management and policy in the language of business.
- Ability to develop practical, cost effective solutions to what are often complex issues.
- Ability to lead change, coordinating with other teams locally & regionally.
- Ability to interpret and analyse a large volume of information and / or data and provide succinct summary for senior management.
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands and problem solve in a dynamic environment.
Visit Hang Seng Career Page and sign up with our Talent Community to receive the latest information about our career opportunities in Hang Seng Hong Kong.