Legal Counsel, Asia Pacific (21527)
- Hong Kong
- Self Employed, Full time
- Fitch Ratings
- 17 Mar 19
Legal Counsel, Asia Pacific (21527)
Fitch Group is a global leader in financial information services with operations in more than 30 countries. Fitch Group is comprised of: Fitch Ratings, a global leader in credit ratings and research; Fitch Solutions, a leading provider of credit market data, analytical tools and risk services; and Fitch Learning, a preeminent training and professional development firm. With dual headquarters in London and New York, Fitch Group is owned by Hearst.
Fitch Ratings is a leading provider of credit ratings, commentary and research. Dedicated to providing value beyond the rating through independent and prospective credit opinions, Fitch Ratings offers global perspectives shaped by strong local market experience and credit market expertise. The additional context, perspective and insights we provide help investors to make important credit judgments with confidence.
As a global credit rating agency, Fitch Ratings gauges the ability of entities and instruments to meet their credit obligations. Investors and financial market participants rely on multiple sources, and the credit rating - indicating how an issue or transaction is likely to perform over time - is one of their key inputs. In this way, we help investors map potential credit risks.
Fitch Solutions, a subsidiary of Fitch Ratings, provides a range of industry-leading products and professional development services to the global financial community. In addition to offering proprietary market-based content, we distribute the ratings, research and financial data of Fitch Ratings through a variety of flexible platforms. With innovation and experience behind every solution we bring to market, our offerings are designed to meet the diverse needs of the fixed-income markets.
Fitch complies with all laws governing employment in each jurisdiction in which it operates, and provides equal opportunity to all applicants and employees. All applications will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, and other status protected by applicable laws.
The Fitch Legal team provides legal advice to its clients across the Fitch Group in understanding, evaluating and resolving legal issues relevant to their specific areas. The global team consists of 11 lawyers based in London, New York and Hong Kong.
In this newly created role the successful individual will support the Asia Pacific businesses in all legal matters. The role will involve daily interaction with the compliance, HR, accounts, business development and analytical functions. The work comprises a wide range of small to complex matters including inter alia, subscription/licensing matters, drafting and interpreting contracts, litigation, regulation, M&A, employee relations, company secretarial and assisting the analytical departments to understand legal risks and issues relevant to their ratings work.
This role will cover multiple geographies including Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Taiwan.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years, maximum of 7 years, PQE is required
- Law degree with strong academic results
- Qualified solicitor from a common law jurisdiction is essential
- Experience in either litigation, finance, M&A, debt capital markets or company & commercial law
- Experience in broad-based complex projects or problems are essential. Candidates with a broad exposure to their field, rather than specialised are preferred
- Previous experience working in a multi-national firm and/or financial services is desirable
- Fluent written and verbal English is essential, other languages desirable
- Business Mandarin and written Chinese proficiency would be advantageous
- Excellent client references.
- Substantive experience in any or a combination of the following areas: litigation, project and structured finance, debt capital markets, commercial contracts and/or company law. The candidate's experience must involve complex projects or problems and should be broad-based.
- Legal analysis and drafting skills for routine and complex contractual arrangements relating, for example, to the sale and/or purchase of services (including financial and subscription services).
- The willingness and ability to perform a broad range of legal services, including, inter alia, subscription/licensing work, review, drafting, and negotiation of contracts, company secretarial work and advice on various legal matters and risks affecting Fitch's ratings and other non-ratings financial information services businesses.
- Ability to handle and effectively prioritise a diverse range of matters -- going from routine to the very complex -- and manage simultaneous time-sensitive tasks for a diverse clientele. The varied workload will likely require the candidate to operate outside of their original areas of private practice specialisation and develop a broad skill set
- Comfortable working and communicating with in-house clients who have differing levels of experience and positions within the company (e.g. Group Heads to entry level business relationship managers and analysts).
- Ability to liaise with outside counsel in a variety of disciplines and geographies.
- Adept problem solving skills - ability to identify practical solutions
- Decisiveness, brevity and clarity in spoken and written communication.
- Responsiveness and Flexibility in dealing with clients' requests.
- Ability to work independently and under guidance from more senior members of the legal team.
We are not seeking assistance from recruiters at this time.
To apply, please submit a short cover letter stating your suitability for the role plus details of any valid visa that you hold and your up-to-date CV. Please also enter your current and desired gross annual salary and notice period in the applicable spaces when completing your application but do not include them in your CV . We regret we are only able to respond to successful applicants.