Manager Research Consultant, Equity, Wealth, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Mercer Hong Kong
- 12 Sep 18 2018-09-12
As a part of the research team based in Hong Kong, the candidate will play an important role in researching and rating equity strategies, to be used by Mercer’s global client base. The position will have a high profile in the Asia market and globally within Mercer. Working with other equity boutique researchers around the globe, the candidate will focus predominantly on the coverage of China and Asia regional equity products, and servicing of global clients and our fiduciary business.
The Manager Research specialist will evaluate, equity investment strategies following a global process to identify those which are believed to be most capable of generating value for investors. The candidate will also be responsible for understanding market trends and relevant practices so as to effectively gauge the relative skill and capabilities of investment managers in the region.
- Conduct research and publish reports and ratings on the investment strategies
- Perform due diligence on investment management firms and their investment strategies through qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Read the investment managers’ marketing material, review the information they submit through Mercer's proprietary tool, Global Investment Manager Database (GIMD).
- Spend time one-on-one with the investment management firms to explore and interpret the information they have provided and walk through examples of how they evaluate potential investments.
- Perform desktop searches to validate information the investment managers have provided to Mercer.
- Perform quantitative analysis by comparing the total returns the Investment Manager is generating against their peers and against expectations given their process, using standard industry metrics and comparing over specific time periods. Analyse style characteristics of portfolios to assess consistency with the Investment Manager’s stated approach.
- Based on thorough due diligence (both qualitative and quantitative), make recommendations in the form of research documents which demonstrate a well-articulated view, including the pros and cons of a given strategy, and state Mercer's recommendation / rating based on that research.
- Liaise with Mercer’s Ratings Review Committee for oversight and governance of the ratings process.
- Articulate the manager research process and participate in equity client advisory/consulting services including formulating investment strategies, ongoing monitoring of manager performance and client workgroups, presenting at relevant client forums such as Researcher Roundtable and other industry events.
- Support other activities of the Equities Boutique as required including project work and a broad range of investment analysis / IP generation. Contribute general information about trends in the market and industry.
- Degree qualified in Finance, Business, Economics or other related discipline
- CFA charterholder or MBA preferred
- Proficient in English and Mandarin Chinese is a must; good to be eloquent in Cantonese
- At least 5-7+ years’ experience in the investment management or consulting industries.
- Must be comfortable making decisions using qualitative analysis supported by some quantitative data.
- Capable of writing concise and logically argued research reports in a timely manner, sometimes to tight deadlines.
- Sound intellect, capable of understanding conceptually complex issues and explaining them in terms that others can understand.
- Ability to “read between the lines” to understand personnel issues within fund management organizations.
- A team player, with sound communication and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to build effective and collaborative working relationships is required.
- Ability to communicate views with confidence and to defend own point of view in debate.
- Happy to work in an environment where written output is equally as important as verbal communication.
- Stable record of employment showing a clear progression of responsibility.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only.