Regional Head of Operational Risk Oversight, Wholesale Asia Pacific - Global Risk
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential.
Global Risk is a thriving and expert risk management function supporting HSBC globally with all aspects of risk management. The team actively manages a varied and dynamic range of risk types, including security, fraud, information security, contingency, geopolitical, operational, credit, pension, insurance, financial crime and regulatory compliance, market and reputation risks. All parts of the Global Risk team use their skills, insight and integrity to handle established threats and those they see emerging, acting to protect and enable HSBC to deliver sustainable growth.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Regional Head of Operational Risk Oversight, Wholesale Asia Pacific
. Principal responsibilities
As Regional Head of Operational Risk, Wholesale you will engage with the Leadership of Global Banking and Markets, and Commercial Banking, to oversee the effectiveness of operational risk management in Asia Pacific. As an expert in risk management with strong commercial understanding you will lead initiatives on behalf of Global Operational Risk to enable the safe delivery of HSBC's growth strategy in line with risk appetite. This role will;
- Lead the assessment of risk management maturity, use and adoption of HSBC's Operational Risk Management Framework (ORMF).
- Supervise, review and ensure that strategic initiatives (including High Priority Programmes) are delivered within appetite with desirable customer outcomes.
- Partner with Wholesale leadership through constructive challenge, to ensure that that non-financial risk exposures are managed, subject to appropriate control activity, and thus enable the safe delivery of HSBCs growth strategy in line with appetite.
- Ensure that the ORMF output enables the business, and is integral to decision making.
- Support the cascade of operational risk appetite threshold, metrics and measures, ensuring that risk management approaches respond to any changes in appetite
- Use risk management data analysis and enrich with expertise to produce both active risk management insights, and formal opinion papers to Wholesale leadership
- Support effective capital management via the execution of relevant capital, scenario analysis, stress testing exercises and quality reviews of supporting data.
- Challenge and validate assumptions made by management and 2nd line risk experts in relation to the risk management effect of key remediation activities, to ensure timely remediation of risks outside of appetite.
- Partner with 1st line leadership and 2nd line of defence risk experts and lead where required on thematic or specialist reviews of risks, issues, processes, controls or events to drive improvements to the control environment, commercial outcomes and support investment decisions.
- Support and challenge that the 3 lines of defence roles and responsibilities contained in the ORMF are being applied in line with policy, and updated as required in response to material organizational changes
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of an operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
- Demonstrable leadership within financial services evidencing commercial awareness, risk management, mediation and leadership capabilities. You will be expected to project executive presence and stature.
- Understanding of advanced non-financial / operational risk frameworks in use within financial services firms
- Strong end to end subject matter expertise in the commercial and/or operating environment of Wholesale Banking
- Strong leader of people, an effective influencer, with superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the confidence to direct executive management and challenge their operating environment, and lead and inspire teams to help them progress in their career paths
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a global matrix context as part of diverse team across locations and time zones
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.