See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, wealth management and investment management services. With offices in more than 41 countries, the Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals. For further information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management;
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital;
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards.
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm’s capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management’s unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture
Background on the Position
The role will reside within the Firm Risk Management’s Operational Risk Department. Operational Risk refers to the risk of financial or other loss, or potential damage to a firm’s reputation, resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people, systems, or from external events (e.g., fraud, legal and compliance risks or damage to physical assets) impacting the full scope of its business activities, including revenue-generating activities and infrastructure groups.
Given the nature and breadth of operational risk, operational risks are managed at multiple levels e.g. Firmwide, as well as Regional, Business Unit, Infrastructure Group, Control Function and Legal Entity.
The Firm has developed a robust Operational Risk Management Framework designed to identify and assess significant operational risks and ensure appropriate mitigation actions are undertaken. The Framework is deployed across Business Units, Infrastructure Groups and Control Functions globally, regardless of Region or Legal Entity. The Framework is based upon a “Three Lines of Defence” model within which ORD operates as part of the Second Line of Defence, providing independent oversight and challenge to the management of operational risk across the Firm.
We are looking to attract a senior recruit to provide regional coverage for the APAC Operational Risk Coverage team, based in Hong Kong, reporting to the Head of APAC Operational Risk Management Coverage.
The APAC Operational Risk Management Coverage team is responsible for working with business and infrastructure units to identify, analyse, assess and challenge operational risk associated with the processes and controls relevant to each area. Coverage Officers are responsible for driving the effectiveness and embeddedness of the Operational Risk Management Framework within the Firm’s Business Units, Infrastructure Groups and Control Functions.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Enhance / build solid client relationships with key individuals relevant to designated coverage responsibilities;
• Develop in-depth understanding of the business and operational risks within designated coverage areas;
• Assist the divisions in highlighting their Key Operational Risks and management of risk levels against designated risk tolerance limits at a divisional and Firm level;
• Carry out deep dives into material operational risk events (internal and external) and analyses of thematic and emerging operational risks;
• Assist in the enhancement of the Operational Risk programme and embedding of the framework and standards;
• Assist in reporting to Boards and Committees. Qualifications:
• Challenge – confidence to take ideas forward and to challenge others;
• Risk Identification – ability to anticipate and identify risks and effective mitigants;
• Banking Regulation – good understanding of banking regulation, especially relating to operational risk management, highly desirable;
• Strong Organizational Skills – multitask and prioritise. Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
• Excellent Communication Skills – both verbal and written. Concise and effective presentational skills
• Self-Starting – should be able to work independently. There is little routine work defined in this role, and the role requires constant learning and versatility to adapt as the global operational risk framework evolves;
• Execution Skills – need to manage process of embedding the ORD framework in the business areas or functions or region;
• Analytical Thinking – experience in risk management functions, or in performing risk assessments;
• Teamwork – relationship building and leveraging expert partners across the Firm, especially within Firm Risk Management. Building and maintain a network of contacts and coordinating with a large number of stakeholders;
• Communication – strong communication skills in English necessary, oral and written.
• Candidate should have a minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience, with the most recent work experience in Investment Banking;
• Strong business knowledge, having worked directly in this business area or a supporting infrastructure unit;
• Risk Management experience within First or Second lines of defence;
• Experience in dealing with regulators an advantage.