The Role Responsibilities Job Summary
To provide, and manage the provision of, advisory, structuring and execution legal support to all regional Financial Markets businesses and functions with the twin objectives of revenue generation and control, driven by a laser focus on FM's core QPR/MPR scorecard objectives both as to product and region:
- Sales, Structuring and Trading regionally in all asset classes: Equities (including funds) (under the aegis of the Bespoke Credit Solutions initiative), FX, Rates, Commodities, Structured Credit (including ABS Trading) and Structured Funding.
- OTC and programme-based product execution, updates, and new programmes.
- COO, Sales and Trading with respect to global and local reform initiatives (including, but not limited to, bank resolution, margin reform, IBOR reform, China netting).
- Providing legal advice to GCNA Strategic Initiatives (often managed behind internal information barriers) and thematic objectives such as China opening, Renminbi internationalisation, Greater Bay Area integration projects
- Supporting and implementing applicable Group legal standards, practices, and requirements.
- As required input into internal governance fora, e.g., DTAG, STAG, RPF, NCEC and less formal working groups such as the China netting discussions organised with Risk
- To engage with and contribute to regional industry bodies (e.g., ISDA, ASIFMA) on market initiatives such as China netting.
- Working in close collaboration with CCIB Legal, WM Legal and Compliance colleagues in relation to all the foregoing.
- Support process ownership and escalation by Legal for Operational Risk Framework issues in the region
To pursue the foregoing and to provide informal oversight and assistance to Country legal colleagues in GCNA and FMC teams in HK, Shanghai and Bengaluru. Responsibilities Strategy General Financial Markets:
Legal costs management:
- Provide general structuring, product, regulatory and transactional legal advice.
- Negotiate, complete and facilitate execution of transaction documentation.
- Review, maintain and manage product and transactional templates.
- Provide training on legal/documentation product and regulatory matters and legal policies and procedures.
- Provide legal review and sign-off required under relevant policies and procedures.
- Liaise with external counsel and with regional and client segment legal and compliance colleagues.
- Provide advice on disputes and potential defaults.
Business Product and business advisory work
- Control, monitor and report external legal spending.
- Monitor quality of legal services provided by external law firms.
- Develop MI to facilitate regular communication and escalation to stakeholders.
- Provide non-panel law firm approvals on a selective basis
Processes New products development and roll-out to new jurisdictions:
- Assist in the identification of material legal and jurisdictional risks for the relevant businesses.
- Anticipate and assesses key legal developments in the business for management consideration and help drive the development and implementation of appropriate legal framework.
- Undertake continual assessment of legal and documentation risks.
- Participate in the overall governance of a business.
- Lead legal input in approval of new products and new business initiatives.
- Help regional country legal teams with product line expertise as required, particularly regarding legal documentation and product approvals.
People & Talent Partnership
- Review and provide legal signoffs for product and country governance documents.
- Design, develop and approve new product documentation and country specific documentation.
- Lead and coordinate with country legal & compliance in relation to global roll-out of new products.
- Consider and analyse cross border legal and regulatory risks.
• Build strong relationships with relevant business stakeholders and functions. Risk Management Identification and mitigation of legal risks:
Governance Regulatory reform:
- Determine adequacy, validity, and enforceability of contractual documentation.
- Manage documentation templates automation.
- Legal knowledge management.
- Assist with review of and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assist in process governance committees and operational risks committees.
- Assist in management of client dispute resolution, if any.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Monitor and advise on regulatory reform developments in North East Asia regions including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Korea.
- Update the regulatory reform team and FM Legal senior management team on HK developments.
- Liaise with regulatory reform team and FM Legal senior management such as IBOR, Margin reform, SFTR, EMIR, Dodd Frank, and Volcker issues in order to advise business on such issues.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct .
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles : [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Core technical knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to the relevant business (or businesses) for which he / she is responsible.
- Has a general understanding of variations in such laws and regulations across relevant jurisdictions.
- Has a core grasp of the sales and transactional activities of the business, its operating model, and its key risks.
- Fluent Chinese speaking and writing ability helpful but not essential.
Experience and knowledge:
Skills and Competencies
- A degree in Law.
- Professional qualification as a lawyer.
- Experience of financial markets and products, documentation, and regulation.
- Relevant regional markets experience, with experience of PRC law and transactions particularly valued.
- Deep knowledge and experience in fixed income derivatives, credit derivatives, commodities, structured credit, structured products, and structured financing.
- Familiarity with, and have experience working on, ISDA master agreement, credit support documentation, repo and stock lending documentation, confirmations and termsheets in relation to FM transactions.
Character and skills:
- Strong analytical and legal skills.
- Personal authority and integrity.
- Independence and resilience.
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures, and specific transactions.
- Ability to coordinate across different cultures, functions and geographies.
- Be an inspirational people leader who looks for opportunities to grow others, develop talent, give clarity and guidance, drive purpose, and enhance decision quality across the team
- Be a lawyer who helps to grow the Bank, harnessing a strategic mindset and the ability to navigate complex situations and ambiguity
About Standard Chartered
- Many issues which arise while drafting or negotiating documentation are not legal issues but involve aspects of credit, market, event or operational risk. Must be able to understand the nature of these risks and contribute to the processes that mitigate these risks.
- Negotiation of document often requires a judgement decision in which a balance must be struck between the interests of doing business and of protecting the Bank. Must be able to make a meaningful recommendation and to provide the decision-maker with sufficient information to make an informed decision.
- Ability to adapt approach to a range of legal systems.
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity , together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours . When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers