Senior Legal Counsel - Corporate Finance
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities Strategy
- Leading and taking responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to Corporate Finance, Greater China & North Asia ("CF GCNA") and the other businesses for which Corporate Finance Legal ("CF Legal") has taken responsibility (the "Businesses"). The Businesses that this role supports include the following:
- Leveraged & Structured Solutions (e.g. acquisition financing);
- Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory;
- Project & Export Finance (e.g. project financing and structured export financing);
- Structured Finance (e.g. shipping and aviation);
- Capital Structuring and Distribution Group (including Loan Syndications and Private Debt Solutions) (e.g. syndicated loans and mezzanine financing/alternative investments);
- Commercial Real Estate (e.g. real estate financing); and
- Financial & Strategic Investors Group (e.g. funds financing/subscription financing).
- Developing and demonstrating leadership within CF Legal and the Businesses. This includes:
- maintaining visibility within CF Legal, the Businesses, the Group and externally (e.g. panel law firms) as a senior point of contact;
- increasing awareness within Legal teams and other functions of the Businesses' strategy;
- identifying horizon risks for the Businesses and developing strategies to mitigate such risks; and
- ensuring that legal and regulatory reform/changes are appropriately assessed, escalated and managed.
- Working with the Businesses and other stakeholders to develop new products and initiatives.
- Supporting the Businesses as their lead in-house lawyer. This includes:
- assisting the Businesses in the execution of transactions (e.g. advising on pre-transaction documentation such as confidentiality agreements, letters of support, mandate letters, commitment letters and definitive transaction documentation) and post-closing matters (e.g. amendments and waivers, early alerts and defaults);
- providing advice to the Businesses and other relevant stakeholders (such as Conduct, Financial Crime and Compliance, Tax, Credit and Portfolio Management) on legal issues;
- approving the appointment of external counsel;
- working with external counsel as appropriate;
- monitoring the performance and costs of external counsel;
- identifying, handling, and acting as an escalation point for, legal issues; and
- working with colleagues in other Legal teams (e.g. Dispute Resolution Team, Distressed Assets Legal and Global Banking/Commercial Banking Legal) and other functions as required to provide seamless support to the Businesses.
- Working with the Businesses, Legal colleagues and other stakeholders to ensure that approved standard form templates are fit for purpose. This includes:
- ensuring that standardisation across the Group's templates is promoted where applicable;
- ensuring that templates comply with, and are valid and enforceable under, the laws of relevant jurisdictions;
- in conjunction with other stakeholders/risk owners, ensuring that templates contain adequate protections to address commercial, credit, tax, transferability legal and regulatory risks (as appropriate);
- providing guidance on acceptable amendments to approved templates; and
- approving the use of non-standard documents where approved templates are not appropriate.
People and Talent
- Assisting in developing policies, standards and processes that are required to manage legal, regulatory and other risks arising in the course of business (e.g. the CF Legal Department Operating Instructions, the CF Legal Standards and the transaction checklists).
- Assisting in controlling the selection and appointment of external counsel. Approving each appointment of external counsel and monitoring the performance and cost of external counsel.
- Understanding and observing the Enterprise Risk Management Framework in order to ensure effective risk management and the implementation of proper controls.
- Identifying, promoting, and developing, the use of technology in an in-house legal function.
- Providing leadership, management and coaching to Legal secondees and other Legal colleagues to enable them to be highly engaged and performing to their potential.
- Assisting with ongoing training for, and development of, the bankers within the Businesses (including juniors).
- Promoting best practice and lessons learned across Legal team, especially in relation to legal risks and compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies and procedures.
- Managing legal issues and risks relating to the Businesses, including driving the decision making process for adequately addressing these risks, and ensuring appropriate collaboration with applicable Business and other stakeholders in managing such risks.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Assisting in ensuring that the Businesses comply with relevant governance (including Product Programme Authorisations, Country Addenda and the Group's minimum standards and guidance for the relevant products or services).
- Assisting in developing policies and standards for the terms on which business is conducted and for processes required to manage legal, regulatory and other risks arising in the course of business.
- Providing reports and other information to senior management in the Businesses and CF Legal on key legal risks and issues in the Region.
- Leading through example and reinforcing appropriate culture and values in daily conduct. This includes understanding, ensuring, demonstrating and promoting compliance with, in letter and spirit:
- applicable laws and regulations, guidelines and codes;
- the Group Code of Conduct;
- Here for good; and
- our Valued Behaviours (see below).
The Role Requirements
- Head, Legal, Corporate Finance
- Head, Legal, Corporate Finance, Greater China & North Asia
- Regional General Counsels
- Client & Product Heads of Legal
- CF GCNA management team and business heads
- Integrated Middle Office / Legal Documentation Unit
- Educational background to degree level
- Qualified lawyer with 6 years' PQE or more in a common law jurisdiction
- Language skills - Fluent English and Mandarin Chinese (spoken and written) - are mandatory
- Experience in general banking and finance work required. Experience in leveraged/acquisition finance desirable.
- Understanding of the key features of relevant laws and regulations in the Region
- Strong analytical and innovative legal skills
- Good judgment
- Personal authority and integrity
- Independence and resilience
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and transactions
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.