Job description Some careers have more impact than others.
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a real impression, join HSBC and discover how valued you’ll be. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
We are currently seeking a high calibre professional to join our team as a Legal Counsel, Expansion. Principal Responsibilities
We are building a new strategic digital business backed by a Global Bank, with the ambition to become the next-generation global fintech solution, supporting the needs of internationally minded customers around the world. With a global footprint, they serve more than 50 million customers worldwide with a complete range of banking and wealth management services, enabling customers to manage their finances and protect and build their financial futures.
We are looking for ambitious and motivated individuals who are keen to embrace growth and tackle the impending challenges in this fast evolving industry. You should be passionate about approaching things differently, while operating like a fintech within a bank. We are not looking for superpowers - we are looking for knowledge, enthusiasm and the right attitude to deliver our global initiative in a lean way.
We are currently seeking an experienced individual to join this team in the role of (Senior) Legal Counsel (depending upon experience). Reporting to the Fintech’s Head of Commercial and Expansion Legal, the role holder is expected to help across commercial activities, such as marketing and partnerships, and global expansion activities, including new market entry.
This is an applied role and will help give birth to a whole new product. Accordingly, the successful candidate will be a legal expert in the law of their home market but will also be happy to help co-ordinate work with external counsel to help launch our product into new markets.
The role holder will be expected to lead and manage their own matters and integrate fully into the fast and agile fintech culture of the business. The role holder will sit in the fintech business directly, using appropriate tools (Macbook, Slack etc.) but with the full support of the wider HSBC Legal team.
If this sounds exciting, then it might just be the role for you.
What you will be doing:
- Support to the new business on the rollout of its app into future markets
- Provide advice and guidance on all aspects of legal risk especially in respect of building, launching, marketing and operating wallet and payment apps into multiple markets, including regulatory/licensing issues. Ability to help source and present advice from others (e.g. external counsel) where outside direct experience is essential
- Draft customer facing terms and conditions and advise on the development of customer service and other policies and procedures
- Help manage the negotiation of third party tech, marketing and other third party vendor and partner contracts, leveraging support from HSBC’s wider Legal function as appropriate
- Liaise with data privacy and protection, risk and compliance and other colleagues to help ensure that the new business meets all applicable legal and regulatory requirements in a global context
- Build, own and maintain strong relationships internally within the business, in particular with commercial, marketing, technology and regulatory personnel
- Build and maintain external relationships with third parties, including external legal advisors, regulators and industry forums where appropriate
- Engaging with the wider Legal community within HSBC
- Supporting the wider legal team with matters pertaining to wider legal risk where appropriate
To be successful in this role you should possess:
- Legal knowledge in areas as they impact consumer fintechs for example in respect of licensing and authorisation, multi-currency operations, payment and cross border transactions, as well as digital banking models and digital wallets. Knowledge of adjacent laws such as marketing, commercial contract negotiation, etc. NB. This is a broad role with high business contact. We would like to consider candidates from different backgrounds and experience. If you don’t tick all the boxes but think you can still bring something special, please do apply
- Ability to proactively identify and address legal risks, requirements and issues associated with the business, also drawing on experience within the Legal Function and other Functions of HSBC
- Excellent legal skills, people skills, legal matter management skills and a “can-do” attitude and a hands-on approach. This will be very client facing and you will be expected to own and drive delivery of legal advice and be an active partner in helping the business achieve good business outcomes
- Ability to develop and present balanced recommendations to facilitate decision making to support the business. Not shy of using the law to help facilitate business outcomes and manage risk
- Organised and happy to adopt legal technology to support your work where appropriate
The base location for this role is Hong Kong. International travel may be required.
If you've got the passion and dedication to help us go the distance and looking for a career that will help you fulfill your potential - join us to make a global impact! You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC. http://www.hsbc.com/careers
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.