Senior Manager, Asset Liability Management Asia
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. Job Description
The Global Asset Liability Management group plays a leadership role in the identification and assessment of ALM related risks globally, along with the development of investment and risk management strategies to support the company's business and financial objectives.
This position is based in Hong Kong and will be part of the Asia ALM team within the Global ALM department. The position will focus on supporting the development and implementation of both long term and tactical ALM strategies, working closely with Asia Investment Heads, CFOs, CROs, Actuaries and Pricing Officers as their primary source of ALM contact and problem resolution. The position has responsibility for inforce ALM risk management and balance sheet optimization within the constraints of tax, capital, liquidity, accounting and reserving, for Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and the rest of Asia. The position entails working with a group of actuarial, risk and investment professionals from the Investment division, business units, and various regional and corporate functions.
- Work closely with the core ALM team in Toronto to develop and review ALCO and various risk and investment reports.
- Monitor asset mix/quality/duration against approved benchmarks and recommend remedial actions on violations.
- Support and lead initiatives as necessary to deliver higher risk-adjusted returns for Asia Business Units
- Manage projects in the implementation of investment strategies and tactical decisions for Asia Business Units
- Support development and implementation of interest rate risk management programs for Asia Division
- Provide guidance to key stakeholders (Business Units, Risk, Group Finance Actuarial) on ALM and market risk related issues.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders at various levels both in Asia and North America
- Support other ALM teams in the development and execution of investment strategies, various reporting requirements and other ad-hoc projects.
- Has a strong sense of ownership and work ethic to see projects to completion. Is undeterred by challenges/obstacles and will remain motivated and apply creative thinking to overcome them.
- Has credibility and presence amongst peers and senior management through strong verbal, written and presentation skills. Can communicate clearly and succinctly on technical and business matters.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment and across multiple disciplines and time zones
- ASA with investment experience, or Masters in a quantitative discipline, or CFA/PRM/FRM, or other relevant risk management designation
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a financial risk management or in an investment environment
- Strong knowledge of fixed income and alternative investments, derivatives, ALM, and asset and liability modelling
Problems / Challenges
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock. About Manulife
- A key challenge of the role is need to handle several projects simultaneously and work with tight deadlines
- In addition, the successful candidate will need to be able to work independently, with minimal supervision.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.