Business Operations Controller – Securities Services
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
This role has supervisory responsibilities and therefore the Bank's supervisory principles must be followed.
Business Operations team of each quadrant in CnC is primarily responsible for ensuring development of the required capabilities for Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) and for utilising such capabilities to proactively identify and manage situations in business operations related to the quadrant in order to ensure maintenance of client service levels, risk mitigation, etc. Also, this team is responsible for developing and enhancing process & business intelligence related to the specific business area, in order to drive process efficiency, risk mitigation, and significant improvements in client service. This team engages with other teams in CnC as well as Operations teams at Group, GBS & Country level in order to achieve these objectives.
The Business Operations Controller of each quadrant in CnC oversees the operations of the quadrant in order to ensure delivery of these objectives. BOC also proactively drives greater situational awareness in the team and in other teams in CnC, through enhancing understanding of key business events & triggers, so as to enhance CnC monitoring capabilities in the pursuit of ensuring continued operations and technology stability and performance. The BOC also drives proactive planning of operations capacity on daily basis through coordination with country/Hub Operations teams in preparation for key business events that have the potential to impact operations and client service. In addition, the BOC serves as Operations Situational Owner during Incidents (technology, operations, etc) impacting their product portfolio & ensures that business impact is understood and mitigating actions are expeditiously taken both in operations and in technology to minimise customer impact.
The Role Responsibilities
- Awareness and understanding of the business prioirities and strategy from a BAM perspective. Building tools to address current gaps in the process and provide timely escalation mechanisms and early warning signals when exceptions / abnormalities are detected, to enable prompt resolution.
- Ensure alignment across the 4 quadrants. Drive common utilities across the Business Segments to avoid duplication of efforts, inconsistency, silo-oriented working approach.
- Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the firm operates - will help in proposing prioritisation of tasks and book of work sequencing.
People and Talent
- Own the development of BRD for building new BAM dashboards which will be used for monitoring process health and integrate with existing dashboards to provide a comprehensive end to end view. Develop different levels of dashboards across 3 levels - high level process health indicators for CnC, detailed metric by process step and user for BAU Operations and customer metric focused such as TAT and accuracy for the Business/CSG.
- Preventive Monitoring & actions: Dashboard Monitoring, Triggers/Exceptions review, Track Volume Flow/Surges, Impact Assssment, Takes / Directs Action (latter by teams outside CnC), e.g. Prioritizing Transactions, Approving High Value transactions etc.
- Predictive Monitoring & actions : Enhance Situational Awareness through developing strong understanding of Business events, VolumeTrends, External Incidents, System changes, etc, assess impact and plan actions (capacity mobilisation, resumption/recovery actions, etc) to ensure business continuity and service level maintenance
- Proactively driving Initiatives, Improvements, etc using Monitoring capabilities and Process / business intelligence, & through engaging Group, GBS & Country operations teams
- Incident Handling: For High Severity technology Incidents, serve as Business Operations Representative for Incident Bridge, conduct impact assessment and provide inputs to Major Incident Manager, identify actions for ensuring business continuity & initiate actions through Country / GBS Ops
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles, ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- To maintain control during a High Severity Incident by taking charge to set recovery priorities and establish engagement with relevant Business Users to drive resolution.
- Identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks in Business Operations. Put in place appropriate controls and measures to continually guage process health and to report any risks observed (including potential future risks) to the dept Risk Forum.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Deliver 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and demonstrate willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Ensure Regulatory Compliance and customer data confidentiality in BAM. Effectively, ensuring compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, other applicable laws.
- Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters. Embed the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture.
- Provide leadership in CnC Business Operations team (of the quadrant) to comply with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and practices as defined by internal and external requirements. Understand and ensure compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
- Embed the Group's Values and Group Code of Conduct to ensure adherence with the highest standards of ethics. Comply with relevant policies, processes and regulations, as part of the culture. Lead by example by displaying exemplary conduct behaviours and take personal responsibility for:
- the conduct of individuals in the team - ensuring behaviours set out in the Group Code of Conduct are followed.
- team achieving the outcomes set out in the Conduct Principals and Pillars.
- both direct and indirect/dotted line managers are individually accountable to proactively communicate, collaborate and agree on the conduct ratings of employees.
- Business CIOs & their teams, GBS Heads, GBS Product Stream Heads, Group/Country L&C, Country Ops Heads, Group Head of Operations, other teams in CnC
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for Good and Group's brand and values in the Team
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Good domain expertise in multiple banking operations verticals with expertise in Securities Services product suite
- Confident and self-motivated leader with ability to drive action and influence people.
- Organized and well structured with eye for detail.
- Good analytical skills and ability to zero in on the issue sifting through the noise.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written, and presentation skills.
- Strategic thinker capable of engaging with senior stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable engaging at many levels.
- Experience leading diverse teams in BAU operations and projects.
- Demonstrate integrity and live values of the Bank proving we are Here for Good.
- Leading others to new levels of effectiveness - always set the benchmark and lead by example.
- Develop a culture of openness and build high-performance teams eager to excel.
- Ability to take quick decisions with limited information.
- Prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.