Cambridge Associates is a leading global investment firm. We work with non-profit institutions, pension plans, and private clients to build investment portfolios that help them meet their philanthropic goals, pensioners’ obligations, or personal endeavors. We offer one service—portfolio management—either as an outsourced discretionary investment office or an extension of an existing investment team. This includes helping clients with developing investment policy, portfolio construction, and manager selection. We are motivated only by what is best for our clients and have been committed to independence since our founding more than 40 years ago.
Our clients trust the experience, leadership, and integrity of our investment professionals. We have a global team of outstanding investment advisors and an extensive research platform to support them. With more than 1,200 employees in ten locations around the globe, we are constantly looking to discover new ideas for our clients’ portfolios. This extensive network helps us to identify and access the best global investment opportunities all over the world.
The Asia Private Investments (PI) Team consists of Directors and Analysts/Associates based in Singapore and Beijing. PI includes venture capital, private equity, private credit, and other illiquid investment opportunities across all Asia-Pacific markets. For the avoidance of doubt, the focus is on investment into private funds and not individual deals, though the team does help with coinvestment opportunities to a lesser extent.
The Investment Analyst (IA) will gain experience in two core functions: (1) portfolio management through working with our clients and (2) investment research by meeting and evaluating private investment fund managers in Asia. IAs will build deep expertise in Asian private investments in addition to broader context of global private markets through internal team forums and by working on global client portfolios.
IAs will work closely with investment directors to provide investment due diligence and market research, analysis, and investment recommendations to our clients. The role involves quantitative analysis as well as a strong qualitative component. Alongside investment directors, IAs will meet frequently with senior executives from PE and VC firms as part of our research coverage of the Asian PI markets. Such meetings form the basis of our firm’s PI manager opinions and thematic investment views in Asia.
Having both strong oral and written communication skills is very important, as IAs are responsible for describing market conditions and relaying investment recommendations through written reports and in-person meetings. Each IA is typically assigned to four to six client relationships. This includes large global clients where the Asia PI team is responsible for managing the clients’ Asia PI exposure as part of a global team of colleagues, and local Asia-based clients, where the team is responsible for building a global PI portfolio.
This position that we are currently hiring for will be based in our Singapore office.
• Meet with and evaluate PI fund managers and write post-meeting commentaries
• Complete in-depth due diligence on opportunities that we are recommending to C|A clients
• Ad-hoc analysis to support our thematic investment views
• Work with investment directors to build and manage private investment portfolios for clients
• Prepare investment memos and client presentation materials related to investment manager recommendations, portfolio updates, and other thematic discussion topics customized for clients
• Synthesize firm research and highlight interesting new private investment ideas and maintain a customized investment pipeline for each client
• Gather and analyze clients’ historical performance and company exposure data with the aim of developing a strategy for their private investments portfolio, understanding portfolio geographical and sector exposures, and identifying performance drivers/detractors
• Serve as an interface between the Asia PI team and clients/colleagues for questions on Asia PI fund managers and market views
• Other duties as assigned, as earned, and as the group evolves
• Demonstrated interest in private investments including venture capital, private equity, private credit, etc.
• Familiarity with the private investment manager landscape would be a bonus but not a pre-requisite
• Strong writing ability and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Shows good initiative and a curiosity to learn
• Excellent organizational skills, keen eye for detail, ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines
• Must have a strong command of the English language; business fluency in Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean is a plus
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel
• A demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
• A desire and capability for periodic travel
• Bachelor’s degree (any major) with a record of high academic achievement
• Individuals with 1-3 years of work experience are welcomed to apply
All applications must include a resume AND a cover letter in a single PDF document for consideration.