Senior Manager - Governance & Control
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities & Our Ideal Candidate
- Ensuring business risk/return Coordinate and consolidate operational risk and loss reporting of the unit for the reporting to the BR F and Business Unit Head. Ensure data accuracy and completeness a nd based on assessment in accordance with the Group's standards and its Risk Appetite
- Business understands the risk appetite through use of the GRAM, Delegated Authorities Matrix and the EORP
- Coordinate and consolidate all significant gross operational risks which are identified, assessed and monitored through the use of the Risk Registers and relevant documentation of end-to-end process
- Regularly assess existing business key controls against the risk register to ensure the level of controls remains cost effective, efficient and relevant
- Implementing effective risk management process of: risk identification, assessment and measurement, acceptance and monitoring to reduce gross operational risk exposure to acceptable levels within the risk appetite
- Risk Identification - The risk identification, measurement and management process should be operating as part of BAU with regular update of Risk Profiles and reporting of exposures for acceptance at the appropriate governance level. Gross Operational risk exposures are identified and assessed by the PGCs and documented in the Risk Profiles. At the country level, UORM works with first line units to perform risk identification which must be comprehensive and utilizing reactive and proactive source of information. Risk identification must be performed in significant projects, internal and external incidents, and regulatory changes
- Risk Assessment and Measurement - Risk assessment must be performed on a consistent basis, reflecting the scope and complexity of the operation. At the country level, UORM works with first line business / function to assess Gross risk exposures in accordance with the Operational risk assessment process. Gross risk exposures are assessed and mitigated to acceptable levels via design and implementation of effective process controls end-to-end.
- Risk Acceptance - Risk must be accepted at the appropriate level depending on the source of identification and residual risk and as per the delegated authority matrix. At the country level, UORM will follow through the acceptance process to ensure risk acceptance at business unit level is complied with Group's Delegated Authority Matrix
- Risk Monitoring - Operational risk assessments and acceptance must be reviewed periodically to appropriately reflect changes in environment and the progress of the mitigation plans. At the country level, UORM must establish operational risk management reporting and intelligence information for ensuring that adequate and credible information is provided to appropriate levels of management, so that there is timely oversight, understanding and acceptance of risk exposures at the right organization level, for risk management purposes. This helps ensure that senior management at a country level have a good, accurate and informed understanding of the business unit's operational risk profile at the key operating levels. The systematic monitoring of process control effectiveness is achieved through the implementation and monitoring of key control indicators (e.g. KRI, KCI) and independent sample testing of controls (e.g. KCSA).
Governance Influencing the development of an operational risk culture which is forward looking, risk based and customer focus
- Risk & Loss Reporting - There is regular reporting on significant OR exposures, issues and results of independent reviews on the effectiveness of and compliance with established OR framework to the OR governance committees, including the Board, or its delegate. Significant OR exposures and loss experience, together with proposed action plans are regularly reported to senior management and OR governance committees. At the country level, UORM must capture gross and residual risk exposures identified and OR loss promptly and accurately in Phoenix in accordance with Group's Operational Risk Policies and Procedures.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Operational Risk Management Policies & Procedures - Implement OR policies and procedures, develop remediation plans, monitor OR policy compliance and propose deviation from OR policies and procedures
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Country Head of Operational Risk
- [Country / Group] Internal Audit Team
- External Auditors and Regulators
- Maintain regular dialogue on business unit specific risks and issues in the country.
- Country Head of Operational Risk provides leadership and guidance to UORM on business specific risk and issue.
- Maintain regular dialogue to both ensure Assurance work is carried out with a consideration of relevant business unit specific risks and issues and GIA fully consider core OR tools and techniques in performing their core audit work
- Maintain a strong partnership with external auditors and regulators to facilitate effective external reviews
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.