Senior Developer (SQL DBA)
Saturday 24 August 2019 Salary Range
£49,608 - £55,120 We support agile working - click here for more information on agile working options. Agile Working Options
Other Agile Working Arrangements / Open to Discussion Job Description Summary
Here at Lloyds Banking Group we are recruiting a Senior Developer (SQL DBA) role based in Bristol.
At Lloyds Banking Group, we have a clear purpose; to help Britain prosper and to become the best bank for our customers. What we do makes a genuine difference to families, businesses and communities and we're playing a central role in crafting a growing UK economy. Finance is key to that success by securing and building the financial strength and performance of the Bank.
You'll be joining Insurance Finance, in the Data Systems & Change (DS&C) team. DS&C is a dynamic business intelligence and application development team. As part of this technical delivery team, you'll be contributing to the design and development of applications and Insurance Finance's operating model for data, systems and MI. You'll have opportunity to work across the Finance function and be at the forefront of change initiatives, critical to our General Insurance and Life, Pensions & Investments business.
You'll be based in our Bristol office but we pride ourselves on our agile working culture - so you may be liaising with partners remotely via video, spending face-to-face time with your manager, or occasionally travelling to one of our other hub locations for a meeting. Sound like your kind of place?
We're looking for a professional SQL Database Administrator ready to take the next career step, in a Finance change delivery team. What would you get involved with?
Your primary focus will be database administration and support across live systems and new developments under strategic and BAU driven change initiatives.
Your accountabilities will include:
- Delivery of DBA support for finance applications and data solutions for strategic and BAU change
- To setup and monitor SQL server database performance and system availability
- Optimisation of existing systems, performance tuning and capacity planning
- Maintain database security standards across SQL server instances
- Build and maintain standard methodology standards for system route to live and ensure adherence within SQL development team
- Championing of new tools and systems, advocating advances in innovations
- Provide enthusiastic leadership in technical matters, drawing upon own expert knowledge of SQL Server and associated technologies
- Mentor and coach other team members in a range of skills and behaviours, to include both technical and development lifecycle standard methodology
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Group and DS&C procedures, guidelines and reporting requirements as well as any relevant regulatory and statutory requirements
- Positively influence others by demonstrating core Lloyds Banking Group values and behaviours
What skills and experience can you bring to the role?
- You're an SQL Server DBA and you have a good knowledge of related technologies such as .NET and VBA.
- You're both analytical and creative in finding solutions to unfamiliar problems and are adept at investigating and sourcing input to resolve systems challenges.
- You're able to troubleshoot data and performance issues quickly and authoritatively and take a consultative approach to working with others.
- You'll relish the challenge of leading a variety of partners - your relationship building and management skills have been well-honed in previous roles.
- You're comfortable and credible in front of peers and more senior audiences, able to challenge where appropriate. Equally, you possess good communication skills which you use to present information and advice, insightfully and succinctly.
As a minimum, your technical skills and experience will include:
- In depth MS SQL Server DBA experience
- Advanced knowledge of SQL Server 2008 r2/2014/2016
- Working knowledge of database design principles
- Working knowledge of data architecture and scaling SQL databases
- T-SQL DML, DDL, DCL (Stored Procs, Functions, etc.)
- Full SQL stack (SQL Server, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS)
- Backup and Recovery (Recovery Models, Full and Transaction Log backups, RPO)
- High Availability and Disaster Recovery Performance Tuning and Optimization
- Working knowledge of clustering
- Plan replication solutions for SQL Server 2014
- PowerShell for maintenance of SQL servers
The following would also be desirable:
And in return?
- Financial Services industry background
- Release Planning and Management experience
- Microsoft SQL Qualification (SQL 2008/2012/2016)
- Configuration of monitoring and alerting systems experience
- Data warehouse and OLAP experience
- Working knowledge of Continuous Integration/Deployment principles
- Previous use of deployment and version controls software (e.g. Team Foundation Server, RedGate SQL source control, GIT, GitHub)
It is a very exciting time to join LBG. Together we'll continue our market leading, ground breaking transformation and you'll help us realise the Group's vision to become the Best Bank for Customers. Here, you'll grow as a person and develop your career.
As well as a competitive salary, you'll receive:
- Car / Car allowance
- Discretionary Performance Share Award
- Generous pension contribution
- A flex benefits cash pot you can adjust to suit your lifestyle (4% on top of your basic salary)
- Private health cover
- Share schemes
- 30 days holiday plus bank holidays
In return for your expertise, you'll enjoy our total dedication to your ongoing personal and professional development. We'll help you perform at your best today, so you can fulfil all your potential in the future.
Lloyds Banking Group is committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve, and to building an inclusive environment where all our colleagues can be themselves and succeed on merit. We're an equal opportunity employer and deeply value diversity within our organisation. Did you know we've won awards?
We've gained industry recognition including Stonewall Top 100 Employer, Top 30 Employer for Working Families, Gold Standard 2014 from the Business Disability Forum and Top 50 Employer for Women.
So if you have the skills we're seeking and you're looking for your next step, we'd love to hear from you. At Lloyds Banking Group, we're driven by a clear purpose; to help Britain prosper. Across the Group, our colleagues are focused on making a difference to customers, businesses and communities. With us you'll have a key role to play in shaping the financial services of the future, whilst the scale and reach of our Group means you'll have many opportunities to learn, grow and develop. We're focused on creating a values-led culture and are committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve. Together we're building a truly inclusive workplace where all of our colleagues have the opportunity to make a real difference.