Associate Data Center Engineer – Data Center Operations
The Associate Data Centre Engineer is responsible for the day to day operations of multiple data centres locally. This position will also be available to support global data centres as part of the Global Data Centre Operations team. This person should have a general knowledge of IT Infrastructure to be able to communicate with other teams in IT. Operations and Support:
- Perform day to day tasks in a data centre. This includes installing and removing servers/storage/network equipment, running and documenting cables and possible ladder work. Must be able to work with others to install/remove equipment.
- Provide 24/7 cover based on a 1 in 8 rotating shift - ensuring 15-minute response times are achieved.
- Take responsibility for approving and signoff of all DC Installations activity (receipt of hardware to successful commissioning) within the Data Centres, Server and Communications Rooms.
- Provide guidance and direction to both projects and support teams wishing to install, maintain, modify or remove equipment.
- Coordinate and plan the installation of all servers and network hardware plus the Data Centre, Server and Communications room 'fabric' infrastructure (cabling / racking etc.).
- Cataloguing and auditing of equipment.
- Support the decommissioning of equipment.
- Be knowledgeable to understand differences between different cabling topologies (ethernet, Fiber).
- Work with other teams to coordinate work in the data centre. This can include scheduling work during the work day, after hours or weekends.
- Be able to use Visio and Excel to document environments in the data centre.
- Follow existing documentation to support and troubleshoot hardware and design issues.
- Willing to learn and follow Senior Engineers on processes and be able to implement those processes with minimal oversight.
- Able to follow directions and complete tasks unsupervised.
- Having a general knowledge of how to troubleshoot hardware and work with 3rd party vendors to replace parts.
Day to day duties:
- Bachelor degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Information Science, Computer Networking and Telecommunications, Engineering, Computer Science or relevant practical experience.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in Linux and Windows for helping to troubleshoot.
- Knowledge of Server, Storage and Network equipment and what their functions are.
- Experience installing Cisco UCS servers, NetApp and SAN storage, Cisco network equipment a plus.
- Demonstration of good listening, oral and written communication required.
- Ability to prioritise and plan work effectively.
- Rigorous compliance with all working practices.
- Experience using a ticketing system like ServiceNow.
- Network patching experience (copper and fibre) install and break/ fix
- Understanding of criticality of support
- An ability to assimilate technical details required for project delivery in a short time frame and in a pressurised environment
- Troubleshooting, ability to diagnose potential issues impacting programme and offer resolution
- Self-motivated problem solver
Working Conditions/Physical Effort:
- Patching for server installs
- Patching for server migration and relocation projects
- SAN-attached network patching
- Distribution/ core layer patching
- Management of requests and tasks to SLA
- Infrastructure design and implementation, space allocation for kit.
- Hardware break-fix for Cisco systems (Hotswap chassis modules, GBICs & PSUs)
- Rack and stack of servers and kit to cabinets
- Change control implementation and change management experience
- Day-to-day running of the environment and issues, environment health checks and escalations
- Receiving and management of stock and equipment for DC and its teams
- Responsibilities will include evenings, weekends and on-call duties
- Local travel is required with some possible International travel
- Lifting equipment that can weigh 25Kg or more with lifts and other engineers
IHS Markit is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website to apply to a position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only.
We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit is proud to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment drug testing. As a federal contractor in the United States, IHS Markit is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States. For information regarding legal rights and protections in the United States, please click on the following links:
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.