Cloud Application Architect
The Requirements Join us as Cloud Application Architect in Edinburgh
What you'll do
- You'll formulate key reference architectures and workload driven patterns for the Enterprise Solutions (ES) portfolio of business applications
- Promote the adoption of public and private cloud technologies, MicroServices, API's and Tooling and Automation across the ES application portfolio
- You can expect to work with a large number of application teams, and partner with ES cloud leads to evolve our requirements for cloud and with, RBS's cloud teams to plan and deliver these requirements
- Partner with pan-bank stakeholders, across the UK and India, to enable ES to exploit and evolve the bank's cloud foundation layer
In this role you'll enable ES applications to maximise the benefits of modern application design, engineering and deployment patterns. You'll be well placed to make a difference across the whole ES application estate, which includes over 400 applications in the risk, finance and HR domains, plus markets applications used in the ringfenced bank.
The skills you'll need
- Work with the ES platform teams to modernise the ES application estate
- Conduct continual assessment and recommendations on evolving cloud capabilities from strategic vendors
- Partner with stakeholders across the bank to define the department's cloud operating model
- Build and maintain key stakeholder relationships with infrastructure, security and controls teams
- Ensure all design and engineering activity is focused on management of TCO
- Transform our applications to be modern and stable, with test and deployment automation
To succeed in this role, you'll be a committed and passionate technologist with direct experience and subject matter expertise of public and private cloud adoption in an enterprise environment. You'll be an expert in modern application architecture, design, delivery and technology, and will have an appreciation for the technical, security, resiliency, portability, commercial and organisational trade-offs involved. You'll also be up to date on emerging technologies and be able to communicate their benefits to a wide audience.
We'll also be looking for:
How we'll reward you
- Significant experience of application, data and infrastructure architecture methods, artefacts, lifecycle and re-use adoption
- A proven history of delivery, ideally with experience of financial services or another regulated environment
- Hands with on experience of infrastructure as code and immutable systems, and the ability to articulate the benefits to the business as well
- Experience of CI/CD toolchain - version control, build, test and deployment automation
- The ability to lead a globally distributed technology team; individually credible and able to communicate effectively at all levels
- A strong technical background with ongoing hands on expertise, able to lead DevOps engineers and to guide and partner with senior leadership
- Familiarity with open source tooling relevant to public Cloud deployment - Jenkins, Terraform, Puppet and Ansible
- Experience of PaaS especially Cloud Foundry
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .