The Requirements We're looking for a Principal Engineer to join us in Edinburgh
What you'll do
- Joining our Engineering Practice & Platforms department, we'll look to you to build and develop sustainable technical capability within your team
- You'll gain a distinguished engineer status as you influence the engineering culture across the bank and help create an environment where engineers can pursue their career with us
- This is an opportunity to put your experience of managing software engineering teams to good use as you coach your team towards the adoption of contemporary engineering
You'll be working in an environment that looks to foster an active community of engineers and specialist practices to increase engagement and ensure continued investment in our engineering ecosystem is value-driven and practitioner-led.
As Principal Engineer, you'll be:
The skills you'll need
- Building trust with a range of stakeholders and evidencing the value of investment in technology through using data
- Making sure operational requirements are factored into designs from the beginning
- Securing sponsorship for appropriate levels of automation across DevOps, introducing Site Reliability Engineering as needed
- Making sure technology selection and design decisions are consciously made, documented according to standings and follow bank protocols
- Implementing systems and techniques to encourage self-learning and continuous development
- Helping the team to identify and remove blockers to visibly increase productivity and morale
To succeed in this role, you'll need experience of managing software engineering teams in an enterprise environment, together with a good working knowledge of the financial services industry. You'll be experienced in the technical implementation of key business applications, and will have previously delivered work through a range of methodologies, including Agile, Waterfall and Kanban.
With excellent communication skills, you'll be able to share knowledge and expertise with your team, and will bring a clear and logical approach to identifying problems and developing solutions or enhancements.
On top of this, you'll have:
How we'll reward you
- Significant experience of working in a high pressure, large scale, global environment
- A solid understanding of Java application containers and web security
- Experience of working with application development and business teams
- An understanding of the build lifecycle of an application through to deployment
- Experience of Maven development lifecycle management
- A solid understanding of general cloud based services including IaaS, PaaS and SaaS
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At NatWest, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .