Application Support Engineer
Application Support Engineer - London, Ropemaker Place
Application Support is a global team that provides specialized technical support across the suite of trade processing and workflow solutions that support all participants in OTC trading from post trade notices of execution, trade confirmation and allocations to clearing and reporting.
The application support team works collaboratively, both internally and across our external customer base, operating in a sharing and learning culture with a view to build continuous improvement in our processes.
We are seeking an experienced Application Support professional to join the team in London.
The role encompasses 2nd line technical application support for our Trade Processing applications. This person will report directly to the Regional Manager responsible for application support on these systems and will work closely with the global team contributing to the quality of our support.
Duties & accountabilities
• Provide second line client-facing technical support for issues escalated by first line support teams
• Apply strong technical skills and good business knowledge together with investigative techniques and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues efficiently and in a timely manner
• Work collaboratively with development team required for third line escalation
• Monitor system operations to detect potential problem and raise the appropriate service outage ticket to initiate the incident management process
• Coordinate with product and delivery teams to ensure the App Support team is ready for new releases and engaged in early design of new enhancements
• Work on initiatives and continuous improvement process around proactive application health monitoring, reporting, and technical support
• University Graduate of Computer Science or Engineering degree, Master's Degree is a plus
• Good understanding of Application Support processes
• Must be knowledgeable in programming languages, SDLC and experience in raising development bugs - including priority assessment, high quality analysis, and detailed investigation. Understanding of agile methodology an advantage
• Must have fundamental knowledge in SQL and RDBMS - including stored procedures & complex joins. Ability to program in SQL is a plus
• Must have understanding of operating systems most especially Windows and Linux. Good scripting experience (preferably including python) an advantage
• Must have fundamental knowledge of networking basics and topology. CCNA certification an advantage
• Ideally familiar with monitoring tools such as Splunk, Centreon, Solarwinds and Monolith.
• Ideally would have experience of working in the Finance Industry.
• Ideally would have experience of IHS Markit products
• Commercial awareness Excellent understanding of software systems and technology
• Good understanding of Application Support processes
• Good understanding of software support team functions and a solid understanding of the end to end application development process.
• Knowledge of, or experience of working in the financial services industry would be highly beneficial.
• Awareness of Derivatives products and Trade Processing (desirable)
• Confident Individual - able to represent the team at various levels.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task balancing technical, business and other drivers
• An Owner - Making sure tasks are followed through and completed
• Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
• Process Oriented - happy to recommend, work to and support good processes and controls.
• Communication Must be a good communicator both written and verbally for this role as this is also customer facing in addition to working collaboratively with internal teams.
• Must be able to effectively communicate handover of issues inwards from London and outwards to APAC in a Follow the Sun support model.
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace. In addition, in the United States, we perform pre-employment drug testing and are required as a federal contractor to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.