Associate Director - Custom Research & Design
Custom Research & Design - S&P Dow Jones Indices - London - Permanent Role Role Purpose:
The role requires a high level of numeracy, the use of large data sets; cleaning, transforming, and combining data to construct indices. The role will be within the custom business services at S&P Dow Jones Indices, working with clients looking for a provider that can work with them to test their proprietary index strategies, providing analytics as well as implementation in a systematic manner, covering all capital markets - equities, fixed income, commodities and real estate. Accountabilities:
- Consult on the implementation of client proprietary index methodologies and enhance the index design process for custom clients through the use of S&P DJI's existing index calculation and maintenance infrastructure.
- Back test various client strategies based on client specifications to help build custom indices to optimally meet client needs while following S&P DJI's policies and procedures.
- Through a collaborative approach with custom clients, memorialize the custom index methodology to reflect the client's specified constituent selection and weighting schemes, corporate action treatment and overall index calculations.
- Technical spokesperson for custom index calculation and maintenance concepts by attending client meetings and building awareness of our capabilities by speaking to the industry.
- Support in the implementation of indices across all asset classes using programs such as Excel (VBA) and python, industry software such as Factset, and internal systems.
Hiring Manager Quote:
- Working within Custom Product management that manages the custom business at S&P Dow Jones Indices responsible for the calculation and maintainence of client proprietary indices. Must be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. The projects involve requirements gathering, data gathering, analytical thinking, index research and design, and documentation.
- Must be able to clearly communicate to a number of internal stakeholders.
- Prepare and update presentation slides
This role provides a great opportunity to learn the basics of indexing and product design and will provide a solid foundation to a career in this area of finance. The ideal candidate must be highly numerate, computer literate, thoughtful, self-motivator and have the enthusiasm and drive to learn. Moreover, the candidate must enjoy working collaboratively with the Custom team
Furthermore, given how complex and dynamic the industry is becoming the candidate will gain exposure to alternative data sets, sophisticated portfolio construction techniques, and a broad and robust range of quantitative methods in finance. Required Skills:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of asset classes and financial theories that underpin portfolio & index construction.
- Bachelor's Degree. Advanced degree in computer science, math, engineering, economics, or finance strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Python preferred.
- Superior computer skills in Microsoft Excel. Ability to program in VBA
- Must be able to work independently and take the lead on multiple projects.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve original, non-routine problems in a timely and insightful manner.
- Comfortable working with large data sets.