Credit Risk Specialist, Loans & Derivatives – Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 20 Feb 19
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The cornerstone of Morgan Stanley's risk management philosophy is the execution of risk-adjusted returns through prudent risk-taking that protects Morgan Stanley's capital base and franchise. Risk Management protects the Firm from exposure to losses resulting from defaults by our lending and trading counterparties.
Credit Risk Management (CRM) evaluates credit risk transactions and approves rejects or modifies them considering the availability and appropriateness of arrangements for reducing risk or risk mitigation. The department also assigns Internal Credit Ratings; establishes and manages credit risk limits in accordance with the risk tolerance established by the Board; monitors and reports on credit risk exposures on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer and senior management. CRM also interacts with business units to ensure that credit risk assessments are factored into business decisions.
To analyse counterparties, identify and quantify risk drivers in transaction structures, prepare credit memos, make recommendations and manage exposure.
• Analyse credit risks in corporate loan transactions and derivative trade requests to recommend accurate credit risk ratings and appropriate risk appetite.
• Assume key role in loan transaction execution, from deal inception to financial close, including presentation at credit committee and to senior management.
• Liaise with clients and internal business units on credit requirements (assisting structuring new transactions), approvals and ongoing relationship management.
• Manage portfolio of corporate loan and derivative counterparties, including annual and quarterly reviews and adhoc waiver requests.
• Analyse economic and market events and their impact on the portfolio of counterparties managed.
Skills required (essential)
• Extensive experience in corporate credit analysis and financial forecasting, assigning ratings and sizing risk appetite.
• Familiar with financial markets, financing and risk mitigating structures.
• Product knowledge e.g. leveraged loans, swaps, equities.
• Familiarity with legal documentation and risk issues, including LMA and bond documentation, ISDAs, CSAs, netting, and credit mitigating features.
• Extensive working knowledge of computer applications, particularly Excel (financial modeling), Powerpoint and Word.
• Fluency in English plus one European language would be an advantage.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.