Developer Operations Engineer
Fitch Group is a global leader in financial information services with operations in more than 30 countries. Fitch Group is comprised of: Fitch Ratings, a global leader in credit ratings and research; Fitch Solutions, an industry-leading provider of credit risk products and services; and Fitch Learning, a preeminent training and professional development firm. With dual headquarters in London and New York, Fitch Group is owned by Hearst.
Fitch complies with all laws governing employment in each jurisdiction in which it operates, and provides equal opportunity to all applicants and employees. All applications will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, and other status protected by applicable laws. Company Brief
Fitch Learning is a leader in financial services training. With unrivalled breadth and depth of training, the company delivers learning solutions for apprentices and graduates, to those with 10+ years' experience in Financial Services. The business is split into three divisions:
- Professional Qualifications - regulatory and exam training including CISI, CFA and CQF
- Corporate Solutions - bespoke blended learning solutions, incorporating innovative digital learning solutions with quality classroom training
- Public Courses - a wide range of specialist courses, open to the public
Our vision is about helping people realise their ambitions. Whether you're a finance professional wanting to pass a certification to progress your career, a training professional looking to create a graduate programme to build a talent stream from Generation Y or a member of staff looking for long term career development, we will help you realise your ambitions.
We're looking for individuals who have drive, enthusiasm and passion. In return, you'll find Fitch Learning a stimulating place to work and progress your career. Role Purpose
Fitch Learning has a technology function that manages a range of proprietary and third-party applications that cover internal operations, client tools, and online and remote learning. These tools and systems have a range of different technology and infrastructure requirements with AWS and cloud based technologies being a common and core theme.
As well as managing the infrastructure requirements of these systems with a view of delivering reliability, security, cost efficiencies, this role will be responsible for working with the development team to ensure the development process is efficient and effective at all times. Role Accountabilities
Required Technical Skills
- Develop, document and deliver against an infrastructure strategy covering key objectives for infrastructure (reliability and resilience, security, efficiency)
- Monitor and improve backup and redundancy of all services being accountable for uptime.
- Whilst no formal out of hours support required, be available to support occasional out of hours work.
- Work with senior developers and Head of Development to establish performance metrics for in-house applications and introduce benchmarks to measure and report on these.
- Co-ordinate regular security assessments of infrastructure and systems, resolving infrastructure gaps and notifying development team of systems gaps.
- Track and record all in-scope infrastructure costs and actively seek to introduce efficiencies to improve cost profile.
- Manage following sample areas of infrastructure
- AWS - EC2, RDS, S3, Route 53, IAM etc.
- DNS services (internal, external)
- Support the in-house development team and the existing continuous deployment approach
- Design and implement a support process for infrastructure including emergency out of hours support approaches (out of hours attention may be required in emergencies).
- Liaise with wider Group IT teams where integration of infrastructure services required.
- Implement and manage regular scheduled tests of services as per our policies (disaster recovery and business continuity), both internally and externally delivered.
Desired Technical Skills
- LAMP stack installations including cloud implementations and high availability, high load installations Infrastructure expertise in.
- Apache, Nginx, HAProxy
- MySQL including replicated slave structures
- Networking technologies
- AWS (including, but not limited to EC2, RDS, E/ALB, VPCs/VPNs, S3, Cloudfront, Route 53, security groups, Cloudwatch, IAM)
- Automated and version-controlled reproducible builds (for deployment and developers)
- Infrastructure as code utilising Terraform, SaltStack, Packer, Ansible, Puppet, and Bash
- Monitoring and logging technologies, such as New Relic, and ELK stack
- Security best practices (server hardening, 2FA, secure data storage)
Desired Personal Skills
- Continuous integration / continuous deployment
- Container technology (Vagrant, Docker)
- Experience with Agile methods
- NoSQL databases (CouchDB)
- DR and BCP processes
- Previous experience with Atlassian software suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Good design and architectural skills
- Project focussed mind-set with ability to deliver project effectively and promptly
- Able to justify technology choices
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and manage own workload
- Infrastructure performance - measured by uptime and developer feedback.
- Backup coverage and simulation results
- Project delivery
- Infrastructure spend
Fitch is committed to providing global securities markets with objective, timely, independent and forward-looking credit opinions. To protect Fitch's credibility and reputation, our employees must take every precaution to avoid conflicts of interests or any appearance of a conflict of interest. Should you be successful in the recruitment process at Fitch Ratings you will asked to declare any securities holdings and other potential conflicts for you and your Family Members prior to commencing employment. If you, or your Family Members, have any holdings that may conflict with your work responsibilities, they must be sold before beginning work. In certain roles, employees and their Family Members may be limited to investments in diversified mutual funds only.
For more information about this policy, please visit the Code of Ethics and Conduct page .