Environmental in Design Program Manager
DESCRIPTION For more than 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet. Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, companies can access technology services, such as computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from AWS. AWS offers over 175 fully featured services for compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, mobile, security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality, media, and application development, deployment, and management from 77 Availability Zones across 24 geographic regions. AWS services are trusted by millions of active customers around the world - including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies-to power their infrastructure, make them more agile, and lower costs. AWS is committed to running our business in the most environmentally friendly way possible, and our scale allows us to achieve higher resource utilization and energy efficiency than the typical on-premises data center. In 2019 Amazon announced The Climate Pledge, which includes our commitment to power our operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025, on the path to achieving net zero carbon across our businesses by 2040. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com and https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud.
The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS's growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS's global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS's global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk management and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the development of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon's ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
We are searching for an Environmental Program Manager (EPM) that will be responsible for the environmental aspects of AWS's global expansion and project permitting. This role will also lead our design-based assessment of environmental risks and ensure integration of environmental requirements in our data center design standards. The successful candidate will define regional requirements and support development of environmental standards, policies and procedures, and will oversee environmental permitting, site due diligence and other environmental planning and governmental approval processes. The individual will complete contractual and regulatory requirements analyses and will work with internal and external partners that include government entities, contractors, consultants, design services, construction, operations and other key stakeholders. The EPM will also be responsible for preparing compliance deliverables prior to commencement of operations, including developing regional procedures and training.
The Environmental Program Manager must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong environmental regulatory knowledge and experience in environmental due diligence and environmental permit preparation. Experience in the following technical disciplines is advantageous: air emissions modelling, acoustic modelling, biodiversity design and enhancement, district heating systems, environmental site assessments (Phase I and II), and waste and wastewater management. The Environmental Program Manager will preferably have global experience and demonstrated success in program development and project management, and experience leading and partnering with geographically dispersed teams.
• Understand environmental regulatory requirements and be able to build compliance systems and programs around these.
• Review site due diligence reports and develop mitigation measures to address site development risks.
• Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks and opportunities are identified early and managed appropriately.
• Manage and oversee compliance with environmental regulations and Amazon policy
• Develop strategic programs (including for biodiversity) by integrating with planning, engineering, construction, sustainability and operations.
• Prepare time-critical submissions to environmental permitting agencies.
• Prepare compliance deliverables prior to commencement of operations including developing regional procedures, training, and on-boarding of critical vendors.
• Function as a leader regarding regulatory agency interactions, permit and planning approval processes.
• Ensure work performed by contractors, consultants, and employees is completed in accordance with Amazon standards.
• Develop appropriate metrics to measure, monitor and forecast performance.
• Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in chemical or environmental engineering, chemistry, or related field of study.
• 8+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, environmental manager, program specialist, or program manager.
• Broad knowledge of global environmental regulations and programs.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experinece interfacing with senior leaders and outside the company.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience with contractual, regulatory, and liability (contaminated site) assessments, permit evaluations and applications, Environmental Impact Assessments, biodiversity integration, water discharge requirements, and waste management.
• Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels.
• Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems.
• Proficiency in reading and interpreting equipment and facility drawings and specifications.
• Experience leading change across multiple sites/locations and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization.
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability across multiple jurisdictions.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Travel estimated at 25%.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.