Who we're looking for
This role sits in the Corporate Governance team, and reports into the Head of Corporate Governance Analysts. This sub team plays a vital role when it comes to ESG integration and engagement. You will work closely with financial analysts and fund managers advising on corporate governance issues to enable them to make better investment decisions and collaborating with them on Annual General Meeting voting. Effecting change through dialogue is key, in particular in the companies that we invest in.
The successful candidate will lead on Asian corporate governance and be the in house subject expert. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role. The team
As long term, fundamental investors, we are committed to strengthening our investment activities through integration of environmental, social and governance factors (ESG). Environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues are quickly becoming more important to us and our clients. Companies compete in a fast changing world in which their abilities to adapt to social and environmental change are becoming increasingly important to their profitability and values. We are committed to building the leading research and investment process that embeds understanding of these trends across the funds we manage.
The role sits in the Sustainability team which has expanded to 17 people, covering a wide range of activities from thematic research, company analysis, portfolio monitoring, screening, corporate governance actions, client communication and marketing and discussions with policy makers and other stakeholders. Our primary focus is working with analyst and fund manager colleagues to strengthen investment decisions through effective analysis and integration of ESG issues in investment processes. What you'll do
The role will include, but isn't limited to:
• Engaging with investee companies to effect change in their governance practices. This will include discussions on executive remuneration, board compositing, capital allocation and strategy.
• Making voting decisions in collaboration with investors for Annual General Meetings with a focus on the Asian market.
• Working closely and building relationships with Portfolio Managers, both in London and in Asia providing them with relevant governance insights and information enabling them to effectively integrate ESG into their investment process.
• Tracking the impact of engagements and voting.
• The production of thematic research on relevant governance issues.
• Lead a regular meeting attended by investors focused on regional governance trends. This will incorporate discussions on voting, policy and general governance practices.
• Involvement with outside investor groups and collaboration with investors at other Asset Managers.
• Discussion of governance outcomes and processes with clients. The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experience of Proxy voting processes.
• Good knowledge of Corporate Governance Codes and corporates in Asia. Understanding of what best practice on Corporate Governance is.
• A knowledge of international Stewardship codes and how to effect successful implementation
• Ability to work to tight deadlines. At some times of the year the workload is heavy due to the timing of AGMs.
• Ability to effect change through dialogue with companies and investors.
• Collaborative approach to work.
• Strong verbal and oral communication skills.
• Capacity to oversee and manage complex processes with a wide range of stakeholders. What you'll be like
• Flexible, highly curious and willing to learn
• A critical thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once, and with tight deadlines
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
• Keen to improve what we do for our clients and how we do it We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.