The Business We're looking for a Principal Engineer to join us in London
What you'll do
- This role is aligned to Enterprise Engineering, providing solution and capabilities that service the engineers as a whole across the bank
- You'll be at the very heart of that capability, being able to service that community across the bank
- This is an opportunity to be involved in continuous improvement within Enterprise Engineering practice and platforms pushing the boundaries and leading the way in cloud.
Our vision is to transform the engineering experience across the bank, resulting in our engineering population becoming happier and more productive while delivering high quality work to support business outcomes. As a Principal Engineer, you'll play a key role in supporting our engineering communities of practice so it can become more active and self-sustaining. You'll be instrumental in defining our engineering curricula, its subject matter, learning paths and delivery method, while becoming a trusted adviser and advocate on behalf of our global engineering population.
Key aspects of your role will include:
The skills you'll need
- Designing innovative solutions to problems using the latest technologies and platforms, in support of both client and internal business requirements
- Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with colleagues, including non-technical personnel
- Leading and contributing to storyboarding and brainstorming exercises, and run scoping and design meetings or conference calls with clients
- Helping maintain the quality system for the Digital Team including Software Development
- Ensuring all process are followed and documented in accordance with required standards, methods and procedures
- Selecting appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications and use accordingly
- Absorbing rapidly new technical information, business acumen, and applying it effectively
We're looking for a fantastic collaborator with experience in application development, who has a history of working on a large technology change programme. You'll be experienced in working with cloud technologies, and will have a particular focus on service oriented architecture and event driven programming, plus knowledge of security technologies. You'll be well versed in agile development, continuous integration and test automation, and will be a great development team member who fosters and strengthens a spirit of transparency and teamwork.
You'll also demonstrate:
How we'll reward you
- Experience of the whole software development lifecycle, taking in inception, build and production, and an informed appreciation of how software and system design decisions affect practical considerations such as manageability, supportability, and troubleshooting
- A positive and pragmatic approach to getting new projects off the ground, and the proven ability to encourage cooperation among a multi-disciplinary team
- The willingness to express your opinion, and an understanding of when to prioritise progress
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .