The Requirements We're looking for a Principle Engineer to join us in Edinburgh
What you'll do
- You'll join a platform team and work with the various feature teams to produce software rapidly and of high quality
- Work with the Domain Lead, Product and Release Managers to determine the design and delivery approach for all of the platform's software throughout it's life
- You'll create a new platform and engage with the bank on single platform with multiple different platforms on them
- Join an agile environment with regular sprints, as you work within a digital distribution across London, Edinburgh and India
In this role you'll design, produce, test and implement working code. You'll work across the lifecycle, from requirements analysis to design, through coding to testing, deployment and operations. Alongside this, you'll be influencing the development of strategies and architecture at platform and enterprise levels, identifying transformational opportunities for the businesses and technology areas of our Engage with the Bank (EWTB) department.
You'll work with a range of senior stakeholders to deliver business value, while setting standards and driving best practice of software tools and processes across EWTB.
Through the course of your work, you'll:
The skills you'll need
- Liaise with the domain architect and other key stakeholders to understand how the domain works, how it supports business objectives and the role of the platform within this
- Improve performance continually through the ongoing evaluation and analysis of metrics
- Use agile methods to develop software
- Deploy code continually and rapidly, working through backlog
- Produce resilient and long-lived software
- Produce software that meets current non-functional requirements and is flexible to cope with future functional and non-functional needs
- Deliver intentional architecture and the formulation of emergent design
- Collaborate with the domain architect to understand the wider platform, domain and enterprise agendas supporting realisation of these
- Realise the architecture by elaborating the relevant aspects in the production of programme designs
- Work with software engineers in the production and prototyping of innovative ideas
- Create an employee strategy for the software engineers in EWTB
To succeed in this role you'll need to have significant and demonstrable experience in software engineering, software or database design. You'll have experience developing software within a DevOps framework, where products have to be delivered to short delivery cycles, frequent deployment and continuous development.
You'll have led software development teams in a matrix structure, introducing and executing technical strategies, and you'll have industry awareness of environments and market developments in order to evolve and deploy across the software engineer population of EWTB.
Along with this, you'll have experience of leading teams to develop:
How we'll reward you
- Software using Scrum, XP, Lean, UX and Agile methodologies
- Digital Cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or our internal cloud solutions such as PivotalCloud Foundries
- Server-side software using container-orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, Docker and Puppet
- Server-side software using Java EE, Spring Boot or .NET framework
- Relational, Network, Hierarchical and object-oriented databases within mainframe and distributed systems
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .