Tech Lead - Python Developer
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description THE ROLE:
Octopus Labs is hiring a Tech lead to lead a team that build high volume FinTech platforms from the ground up. The Tech Lead will be a visible Leader who provides technical direction for the team, instils confidence in their ability to deliver high quality, secure and scalable products and provides technical guidance and direction to both the tech team and the business. The Tech Lead will 'own' technical excellence for their workstream and lead all others Devs (Back End and Front End) and also give testers assistance where necessary, especially around co-ordinating on automation. OUR TECH STACK
At Octopus Labs we're building a suite of micro-services in Python, running on Tornado and hosted on Kubernetes in Google Cloud with MySQL databases. Our front-end developers use React, and we utilise Jenkins for our deployment pipeline and Sentry for exception reporting. We are integrating everything, from our own micro-services to third-party tools, into Slack. WHY Octopus?
- Flexible working hours
- Stunning office
- Competitive Salary + benefits
- Diverse/multinational team Qualifications
- You are an experienced Python developer
- You have experience in developing the technical skills of others within a team
- You are the tech team's representative for the project, you lead tech discussions and are the voice of the tech team in meetings where the whole team is not involved.
- You make architectural direction decisions and where appropriate collaborate with others (other tech leads or architects) to ensure aligned approach. You ensure the architecture is documented, shared and kept up to date.
- You ensure that the team are adhering to the SDLC and secure coding practices, own resolution of known security issues and Github alerts. You lead on technical best practice across the project, ensure unit test coverage and refactoring when appropriate, automation of repeat processes.
- You have the final say on code reviews and sign off, own the release process in collaboration with the Delivery Manager.