Brookfield Asset Management is a global asset manager with approximately $350 billion in assets under management. We have a 100-year history of owning and operating real assets with a focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Brookfield is co-listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges under the symbol BAM and on NYSE Euronext under the symbol BAM.A.
Brookfield Asset Management Ventures (BAMV) is the newest arm of the group, formed in 2017 to invest in technologies that are disrupting the traditional investment areas of the Brookfield business, as well as other sectors of broader interest to the firm. In the long term, BAMV aims to raise successive funds of hundreds of millions of dollars to become a market leader in venture and growth equity investing. THE OPPORTUNITY
Today, Brookfield manages over $350bn in assets across four investment pillars: Real Estate, Infrastructure, Renewable Energy, and Private Equity. The opportunity in this role is to build the fifth pillar of Brookfield: Venture Capital.
Initially, the goal of the fund was to invest in real asset-linked technology companies where Brookfield can add value through our existing businesses / expertise / relationships and provide follow on capital throughout multiple rounds for the winners (i.e. we will take a multi-stage approach). ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With the support of a 70,000 operating employee company in 30+ countries, use capital to assist in building the next generation of companies that utilize cutting edge technology to change the world.
- Add to the Brookfield view of where the world is evolving, how market dynamics are changing, and which companies will be leading those changes.
- Help build the deal sourcing methodology and engine that will drive BAMV's ability to find attractive investments.
- Assist in due diligence on potential investments, working with the senior team to determine whether to invest or pass on opportunities.
- Represent Brookfield as the first point of contact in meetings with founders and outside stakeholders in potential investments.
- Represent Brookfield internally with Brookfield colleagues; will work collaboratively with the other Brookfield teams to source deals, validate investment opportunities, and enhance investment outcomes.
- University degree in finance or business.
- 1-4 years of relevant experience, preferably two years in investment banking, accounting or consulting. Venture capital or private equity experience is an asset.
- Experienced in conducting research and due diligence, evaluating transaction opportunities, performing financial and valuation analysis, and producing "client ready" investment materials.
- Some demonstrated interest in the technology sector.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, both for vetting new companies, and for building something themselves
- A lover of technology, possibly a self-described "geek"
- Thrives in an apolitical environment with a high degree of autonomy
- The above notwithstanding, a dynamic and engaged team player with strong interpersonal capabilities, who can work well with external (VCs, founders) and internal (Brookfield) teams
- Strong work ethic and a willingness to wear multiple hats