When you work with the world's most innovative companies, you know you're making a difference. Our clients are the game changers, leaders and investors who fuel the global innovation economy. They're the businesses behind the next medical breakthroughs and the visionaries whose new technologies could transform the way people live and work.
They come to SVB for our expertise, deep network and 30+ years of experience in the industries we serve, and to partner with passionate, enterprising SVB'ers, dedicated to helping them grow and succeed at every stage of their business. Join the SVB team and help bring our clients' world-changing ideas to life.
Innovation will be critical to achieving growth and expanding SVB's market leadership, and SVB has set ambitious goals for innovation-led growth. Within innovation we are building an Incubation team, and looking for a versatile, passionate and qualified Business Designer to help bring this to life.
This role will identify and define innovation opportunities, and combine the art and science of discovering, articulating and launching new businesses. The right person will be able to do this work on their own, as well as by driving partners and vendors to deliver the work at scale and pace.
Drive innovation initiatives to deliver new businesses, by doing the following:
- Drive virtual teams containing user research, design, architect and program managers to run discovery projects and deliver proposals for new businesses the bank should enter.
- Drive vendors to deliver this work at larger scale, for example vendors specializing in competitive intelligence, user research, or technical investigation; or venture studios that can deliver the whole process as well as co-investment.
- Together with program management, manage engagements with vendors, evaluation of methods, selection of new vendors, resourcing and schedule
- Together with corporate development, construct funding proposals to top management to drive investment decisions
- For the most justified ideas, drive launch in a lean style. either as new companies or handover as new businesses within the bank. For new companies, work with partners to find the right founding team and facilitate interaction with relevant bank functions.
- Manage and groom the pipeline of business ideas to be investigated
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned business thinker, with a preference for those who have worked in FinTech or financial services, as well as with Design Thinking and user research. We are looking for individuals who possess a blend of work experience in both large and small enterprises-someone who understands the complexity and necessary rigor of working in a scaled, multi-billion organization, but can also productively challenge and reinvent such working norms and foster a more agile and entrepreneurial organization and culture.
Ideal candidates will have the following experience or qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in larger organizations in a strategy, product management, corporate development or similar role dealing with business model design
- 3+ years of experience in small, agile environments, ideally startups, dealing with designers and user researchers.
- Experience managing vendors, SOW's, contracts, and procurement processes.
- Strong communication and influencing skills with all levels of stakeholders, including executives
- Demonstrated ability to build credibility, establish rapport and maintain relationships and communication with stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Demonstrated ability to understand big picture and/or piece things together and considers both long/short term impact of work to the whole, and can switch from detail to big picture seamlessly.
- Proactivity in reaching out to stakeholders to manage expectations and "seed" solutions
- Comfort with smoothly re-orienting plans when research findings or other new data indicate a change in direction is required
- Demonstrated ability to embrace and thrive in ambiguity and in an environment with shifting priorities.
- Sets priorities under conditions of limited resources and competing demands.
- Product owner-style experience with articulating and prioritizing requirements