Consulting Manager, Utilities
Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP (Baker Tilly) is a leading advisory, tax and assurance firm whose specialized professionals guide clients through an ever-changing business world, helping them win now and anticipate tomorrow. Headquartered in Chicago, Baker Tilly, and its affiliated entities, have operations in North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Baker Tilly is an independent member of Baker Tilly International, a worldwide network of independent accounting and business advisory firms in 145 territories, with 34,700 professionals. The combined worldwide revenue of independent member firms is $3.6 billion. Visit or join the conversation on , and .
We are seeking an experienced Consulting Manager to join our Public Sector and Utility Consulting team. We are recruiting candidates in our Chicago, Austin, Indianapolis and Madison offices.
Baker Tilly’s Public Sector and Utility Consulting team consults for various public sector entities, including state, local, and tribal governments as well as public utilities and K-12 schools. The Public Sector and Utility Consulting group has provided clients operational, financial, compliance, risk advisory, and process improvement services. Our team includes a diverse array of talent including well versed project managers, Certified Internal Auditors, Certified Public Accountants, and specialists in other areas (human resources, work force planning, engineering, etc.).
As an experienced Consulting Manager, you will work with a select group of professionals aligned in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment, to assist clients with solutions to help them meet their operational, organizational, and strategic needs. Through management or risk consulting efforts, you will partner with our clients to:
- Assist public sector entities of all types to operate efficiently.
- Evaluate financial and operational risks and enhance internal controls and the internal control environment.
- Provide an independent, objective analysis of the organization’s strategy, organizational structure, and operations.
- Ensure alignment of resources – people, process, and technology – with key strategic goals and priority service areas.
- Develop tactical approaches to implement changes in strategy, service delivery, technology and/or policy.
Baker Tilly will offer you a variety of experience and the freedom to perform projects, meet clients and prospects that many firms would not at this level of experience. Your colleagues are fun, interesting, driven and have a strong desire to learn more about our business and grow our practice. You will have a defined long-term career path and your Performance Counselor will help guide you in your Baker Tilly career.
- Lead and execute management consulting projects for public sector organizations including local and state governments, utilities, tribal nations and other public sector entities. Project types may include:
- Organizational redesign
- Business process improvement
- Succession and workforce planning
- System selection and implementation
- Manage multiple client facing projects and internal projects at one time
- Maintain active communication with clients to manage expectations, ensure satisfaction, and lead change efforts effectively.
- Consult, work with, and service client base to make recommendations on business improvement and process improvement and serve as a business advisor to client.
- Team with partners and senior managers on proposals and business development calls.
- Manage, develop, train, and mentor staff on projects and assess performance for engagement and year-end reviews.
- Actively participate in recruiting talent to the firm.
- Attend professional development, networking events and training seminars on a regular basis.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict client confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MPA or MBA highly desired.
- Five (5) plus years of progressive related consulting experience.
- Knowledge of local government and utility operations desirable
- Demonstrated management, analytical, organization, interpersonal, project management, communication skills, and highly developed Microsoft Suite skills (Word, Excel) required.
- Ability to provide exceptional client service, demonstrate commitment to continuous learning in order to stay current regarding applicable strategies, see the "big picture" as well as the details, display appropriate ethical knowledge and commitment, and exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and the timely completion of duties.
- Ability to travel 30-40%