Business and Data Analyst
The Business / Data Analyst resource will be a highly visible, valuable member of the team responsible for documentation, maintenance and tracking of requirements at all levels. The resource will be responsible for analysis of large and complex data sets to determine processing rules. They will be part of a highly-skilled team and will work with them to ensure that the system being built meets all requirements. Also responsible for planning and execution of quality assurance tasks to validate system functionality. Key areas of effectiveness -
- Lead requirements gathering sessions with business customers.
- Document business requirements, utilizing the method that best fits the business need, e.g., MS Word document, uses cases, wireframes. Analyze and gain acceptance of business requirements.
- Work with technical leads to decompose business requirements into functional requirements and technical specifications.
- Execute current state / future state analysis. Create business process flow diagrams as required to clearly communicate.
- Execution of gap analysis for project scope and impact analysis for technical changes.
- Identify and capture non-functional requirements.
- Execute requirements management, including change management and traceability.
- Perform data analysis on large volumes of data to identify trends and/or data processing rules.
- Provide results of analysis in an easily consumable format such as scorecards, spreadsheets and specifications.
- Plan and execute testing for new solutions including identification of testing types, documentation and execution of test cases, test tracking.
- Perform root cause analysis on potential issues.
- Work with other teams and developers to create scalable and sustainable solutions.
- Facilitate communication between internal and external business and technical teams.
- Create other documentation such as training material, process documentation, operational support documents and standard operating procedures.
- Create cut-over plan and release notes. Lead execution of cut-over.
What we'd like you to bring:
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Able to independently write SQL queries to support data analysis and testing. Ability to use demonstrated SQL queries as starting points and adjust them to other purposes.
- Able to glean business requirements from conversations and interviews and to document them accurately, succinctly and in a manner that is easily consumable.
- Ability to decompose business requirements into functional requirements and detailed specifications.
- Previous participation in and knowledge of standard testing practices. Demonstrated understanding of different testing types and ability to identify what testing types apply to the assigned project.
- Ability to document in a succinct manner, organizing thoughts well and using proper formatting and grammar required. Includes technical, business, process, and presentations.
- Ability to articulate thoughts and issues clearly via verbal communication required.
- Ability to create data flow diagrams in Visio and data analysis results in tools like Excel or Tableau.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and reach conclusions based on results.
- Ability to summarize complex concepts and data analysis results for communication purposes.
- Possess strong critical thinking and proven problem-solving skills.
- Proven data analysis experience. Experience with complex data systems a plus.
- Experience with data warehousing concepts and practices a plus.
- Strong attention to detail. Produces clean work of high quality.
- Able to work independently with guidance and oversight. Takes initiative on and ownership of tasks with area of responsibility. Completes work to a point where it is fully fleshed out and validated and requires only review and approval.
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace. In addition, in the United States, we perform pre-employment drug testing and are required as a federal contractor to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.