Principal Data Engineer
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
Brighthouse Financial is looking for enthusiastic technologists who are looking to take a leadership role in cloud native technology. The Principal Engineer will have the opportunity to lead efforts across the entire Cloud and DevOps Division for engineering projects, problem solving, and operational excellence. They will collaborate in architectural direction along with the Principal Engineers and provide continuous development of cloud platform capabilities while relying on advanced cloud infrastructure knowledge in problem solving opportunities.
The Principal Data & Analytics Engineer is responsible for implementing data and analytics capabilities and platforms including the data management and integration capabilities, enterprise reference data, and analytics platforms across Brighthouse Financial. This position will play a key role in the design and implementation new and existing platform architecture frameworks, software & hardware technologies, as well as the evaluation and selection on premise and cloud technologies to drive and realize Brighthouse Financials' Data strategy. Key objectives of this Job Family:
- Lead a team of elite DevOps based Engineers to build-out core data & analytics frameworks and specialized solutions in alignment with the Enterprise Data & Analytics strategy and architecture for the Company.
- Collaborate with architecture, data science & analytics team, other engineering & technology teams, and product management functions to ensure that data and analytics systems accelerate the company's business vision and priorities.
- Lead the development of the future state data and analytics capabilities while also managing and drive efforts to modernize existing legacy capabilities in alignment with strategic investments and roadmaps.
- Implement and manage modern data and integration assets, platforms, and systems to ensure long term stability and reliability in alignment with Enterprise Architecture target state roadmaps.
- Provide thought leadership to drive our data engineering capabilities as a strategic advantage, attract and retain talent, and ensure the continuous realization of value.
Data & Analytics Engineering is responsible for the design, deliver, and operationalize end to end data and analytics capabilities and solutions; from consultation through operations. Partner with senior leadership on the continuing transformation into a data and analytics driven organization.
Additional Job Characteristics and Responsibilities
- Data Management & Analytics Framework
- Build the core data management and analytics framework to drive the end-to-end digital platform for the Company.
- Partner with architecture and infrastructure, security, and administration to design, implement, and operate a data integration, standardization, and consumption platform to ensure consistent use of information across partner organizations.
- Design Data & Analytic Solutions
- Quality Assurance, Operations & Production Support
- Develop the discipline to ensure timely delivery of highly reliable data and data related solutions.
- Data & Analytics Technology & Platforms Management
- Serve as the core expert for the company on the use, application, adoption, and operational support of all data and analytics capability stack; technologies, tools, and platforms.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Coordinate with peers and senior leadership to identify and prioritize key initiatives, systems level priorities, risks and issues.
- High-performing development and implementations team providing leadership for recruiting, training, coaching and developing effective leaders and staff; develop, mentor and manage a team of technical leaders, engineers and data specialists.
- Ensure engineering has appropriate support to meet goals and ensure that project risks are identified, mitigated and communicated to stakeholders
- Address open security and risk items in conjunction with audit, compliance, and enterprise security.
- Collaborate with peers in Research, Marketing, Distribution, Finance, and Technology to prioritize, plan and release capabilities within the Data and Analytics platform ecosystem.
- Manage departmental and project budgets.
- Identify structural and process improvement opportunities, overseeing the development and implementation of best practices for modern development principles and methodologies.
- Support the data platform, applications and workflows 24x7.
- Ability to lead teams using different delivery and execution models and shepherd agile practices and processes.
- Develop and implement organizational goals and compliance requirements.
- Innovate with and expand the organization's insight, data offerings, emerging approaches, skills and technologies.
- Research and develop new data solutions and tools sets.
- Average of 8 to 12 years of experience (minimum) with increasing responsibilities in data management, business intelligence, predictive analytics, support of information systems and information technology, direct management of a major IT operation.
- Management consulting experience in execution and delivery in with large organizations (especially within Financial Industry), complex functional environments, and dispersed geographies.
- Proven track record in developing, deploying and maintaining transactional systems, operational databases and data stores, data warehousing, reporting, analytics platforms, tools, and technologies.
- Demonstrated contribution as a lead or senior engineer for large, complex, multi-disciplinary systems implementation projects.
- Strong foundational knowledge and experience with peta-scale data systems supporting large consumer-facing websites.
- Hands-on experience in data and business intelligence delivery including hands-on engineering skills - interest and ability to roll up sleeves and work along with key architects and engineers in building our leading edge data systems.
- Broad understanding of multiple technologies - These include enterprise data platforms (SAP HANA/BDS, Teradata), No SQL (DynamoDB, MongoDB, HBase), DBMS (SQL Server, Oracle), ETL (Informatica, Pentaho), Reporting (Business Objects, Tableau, MicroStrategy, Birst, etc.), performance tuning for large-scale computing clusters (Spark, Hadoop), OS (Linux, Windows Solaris), and languages (Java, Python, Scala, C++). Experience dealing with PB+ data sets.
- Familiarity with a range of data management, Business Intelligence approaches and the latest, tools, approaches, techniques, and methodologies in data and analytics development management.
- Deep understanding and appreciation for both business and technology components of information management in insurance and financial services industry.
- A demonstrable history of influencing others through consensus building in a cross functional matrix environment.
- Excellent communication skills: Listening, verbal and written. Experience developing communications and presenting to senior management.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal.
- Self-motivator, independent, cooperative, flexible, and creative.
- Team-building, recruiting, and talent management skills are essential. Vendor management skills a plus.
- Ability and desire to lead projects independently from start to finish, working with internal and external teams to make decisions and maintain momentum.
- Excellent time and project management skills, with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status effectively to all levels.
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines.
- B.S./B.A. degree in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or other technical fields. Coding and Data Science boot camps coupled with other advanced degrees and proven experience are fully considered. Higher level degree is strongly preferred.
Up to 10%