The senior accountant is primarily responsible for contributing to recording, reconciling and researching a wide variety of transactions and account balances in various Carlyle consolidated entities including but not limited to broker-dealers, joint ventures, investment holding companies, and other special purpose entities. The senior accountant will prepare monthly and quarterly account reconciliations as directed, enter and review journal entries, and prepare ad-hoc analysis as requested by department leadership or other departments within the firm. Further, the incumbent will be called upon to assist with quarterly and annual audits and reviews by responding to audit requests, preparing PBC deliverables, drafting financial statements, and assisting in walkthrough discussions and documentation.
In addition, the senior accountant will be expected to assist in developing processes and procedures to ensure that new or complex transactions are accounted for timely and accurately. For example, the senior may be called upon to prepare entries and reconciliations or assist in establishing processes and procedures around new accounting standards, joint ventures, firm acquisitions, and/or cross-segment marketing and administrative service costs (read: external finder fees and transfer pricing/cross silo administrative charges). The senior accountant will also be responsible for ongoing communication and reporting to inter- and intra-departmental leadership on such areas.
This position requires a strong aptitude in information systems and data processing as information must be processed quickly and accurately, often in high volumes. Further, this role will serve as a mentor and example to staff accountants and will be called upon to train and review the work of others in the department. Substantially all responsibilities will involve Excel and PeopleSoft. Attention to detail and a willingness to help train junior team members is essential.
Auto req ID
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Minimum of 3-5 years of accounting experience in either public or industry accounting
- Accounting degree and a minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred. Business-related degree (e.g. Finance, Economics, Business Administration) and relevant accounting experience is acceptable
- Private Equity or Financial Services experience preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- CPA candidate preferred
- Strong Microsoft Office skills Advanced MS Excel preferred
- Familiarity with Lease Accounting preferred
- Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft or another ERP system preferred
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability, must be comfortable working independently
- Organized and efficient, able to prioritize and complete multiple simultaneous tasks, often on very quick deadlines
- Strong attention to detail.
Senior Accountant - Accounting Operations
- Monthly operating entity close process
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations prepared by staff accountants.
- Train newly hired staff accountants.
- Record and reconcile transactions and balances in the general ledger for various areas, potentially including but not limited to investment activity, acquisitions, and/or standards adoption.
- Review fixed assets in the fixed asset module and general ledger. Investigate any issues. Oversee staff in determining in service and disposal dates for assets and review retirement entries for accuracy and proper presentation.
- Assist in identifying general ledger coding errors by reviewing general ledger detail for Carlyle operating entities. Assist the manager(s) with departmental variance analysis and marshal staff to execute research and corrections.
- Special projects/transaction accounting
- Assist in the implementation of processes and procedures related to the adoption of Accounting Standards Updates; for example, ASU 2018-11, Leases (Topic 842) and train staff accountants on the same.
- Assist in reviewing new transactions and arrangements to determine proper accounting and efficient processes and procedures for recording investments, earnouts, intangible assets, and other aspects. Communicate those processes and procedures to impacted teams.
- Support quarterly and annual reviews and audits
- Prepare reports and analysis for auditors and Accounting leadership to satisfy audit and reporting requirements.
- Proactively research and explain departmental budget variances and identify general ledger miscoding. Direct staff accountants in resolving issues.
- Other corporate accounting functions
- Liaise with Invoices Americas team to process and code corporate payments including consulting fees, office costs, legal fees and investment fundings.
- Review coding on AP vouchers entered by EAs and others in Corporate APBUs.
The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) is a global investment firm with deep industry expertise that deploys private capital across four business segments: Corporate Private Equity, Real Assets, Global Credit and Investment Solutions. With $216 billion of assets under management, Carlyles purpose is to invest wisely and create value on behalf of our investors, portfolio companies and the communities in which we live and invest. Carlyle employs 1,625 people in 31 offices across six continents.