Product Engineer - Data Governance
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB YOUR IMPACT
The firm is investing significantly to enhance data quality and data classification (i.e., data governance) across the firm. We have a multi-year book of work to do so which is sponsored by the Board.
OUR IMPACT The Engineering Division
- Help promote the data quality and data classification frameworks and their adoption to all of the firm's divisions
- Work with Divisional Data Offices to help them achieve compliance with the newly created policies and procedures for data quality and classification
- Provide guidance and training on how to plan implementation of requirements set forth by the policies
- Work with the technical team responsible for developing the data governance platform and tool set
- Participate in working groups to develop programs to improve data governance
- Be instrumental in monitoring the compliance and progress of each division, and working to make sure the data governance program goals are accomplished
- Provide thought leadership to further develop processes, and firmwide roles and responsibilities, to help the firm meet the expectations of its data governance policies
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form the core of our key businesses and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the field. Data Engineering - Data Governance
The Data Governance team is a central, firmwide team that is responsible for defining and driving data governance across the firm. It aims to:
- Bring better definition, transparency and understanding of the data produced and consumed across different areas of the firm
- Create and maintain the policies, standards , and procedures for data governance
- Bring consistency to the way data is modeled and represented across the firm
- Set expectation about data quality and drive a process to improve it
- Partner with our stakeholders on the adoption of the Data Governance framework and tooling and provide transparency into progress and compliance with the standards
- Report on the state of governance framework processes and supporting data platform and tooling
We are a global team. We work with divisional stakeholders, to provide transparency into where data enters the firm, how it is transformed/reported/classified, and what data quality controls exist for critical datasets. Our internal clients use this meta-data to gain insights - aiming to cut duplication, improve quality and respond faster to new business opportunities, and to meet regulatory requirements. Our users need to search and visualize the firm's data flows. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
As a member of the team, you will gain satisfaction though adding value and contributing to the team's initiatives. You will:
- Help define new solutions that will improve data governance
- Help define and source metrics that help us measure data management maturity from varying perspectives - committee, data office, data governance.
- Partner with Divisional Data Offices to help them adopt the governance framework and utilize governancies tools:
- Inform/train them how to implement the policies and monitor data quality/classification within their areas
- Understand their tooling needs and help specify the next generation of solutions
- Help with team planning, program reporting and communication
- Help drive the evolution and maturity of governance
You will have the potential to:
- Grow your business understanding of data
- Develop business analysis and relationship management skills
- Contribute to setting a course for the future of data management and usage at Goldman Sachs
Experience working with stakeholders on projects to develop strategies and solutions, ideally related to data and data quality improvements. Ability to work in a collaborative manner with stakeholders and drive consensus is essential. Experience working with a business team to develop functional requirements and translating those into technical requirements is important. Having developed an effective training and testing strategy is helpful.
You are someone who:
- Can partner effectively with all divisions in the firm, with a focus on end-client value and meeting mutual objectives
- In terms of partnering with engineering - understand technology; challenge engineering thinking to think through all use cases
- Has a depth of product understanding, including the ability to conceptualize good/usable products and employ a structured framework to evaluate features; makes definitive product decisions that are strategic.
- Leadership and communication: able to influence. Confidence and assertiveness in advocating for customers and key stakeholders. Ability to clearly communicate within the team and with Stakeholders and to flex style to differing levels.
- Ideally has a good understanding of data usage in one or more business areas and the problems and pitfalls that we face today.
- Organizational Awareness - Resourceful and knows how to cultivate relationships. Ability to work with a variety of different stakeholders and cross-functional teams, from new joiners to senior leaders, globally
- Planning and Prioritization - Demonstrates an ability to set objectives and organize work appropriately to meet and exceed goals. Is also comfortable identifying and generating opportunities to drive additional value for the organization
- Critical and Analytical Thinking - Ability to demonstrate sound judgement and exercise a thoughtful approach to decision making
- Bachelor's degree required
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of business process modelling
- Proficient with spreadsheet/presentation/dashboard tools and willingness to learn new tools and procedures
- Extremely proactive and work well in a collaborative environment
- Exceptional attention to detail and analytical thinking
- Ability to effectively communicate and present results highlighting the broader strategic impact
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Helpful to have sufficient SQL knowledge to be able to run queries and participate in data analysis
- May have a software engineering background
- Any Data Governance experience at a Financial Institution would be a plus
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.